The Dr. Raymond Shanahan Memorial Prize
At a glance
- Value: €600
- You must be a graduate of UCC Medical School or graduate of other medical schools training in the University's teaching hospitals or training schemes to be eligible for this scholarship
- Questions about this scholarship can be directed to Dr Aine Merwick, School of Medicine email@example.com
In November 1981, the Consultant Staff Committee of the Cork University Hospital decided to establish the Dr. Raymond Shanahan Memorial Prize to honour the memory of their colleague who died prematurely in August 1980. The prize will be awarded as follows:
- This fund will be administered by University College Cork which will act as its Trustees.
- The prize will be awarded biennially on the basis of a submission of original observations or research in a topic related to cardiovascular disease. Those eligible will be post registration non-consultant hospital doctors or their equivalent in G.P. Trainee Schemes. Eligibility will be confined to graduates of University College Cork Medical School and also to graduates from other medical schools training in the University's teaching hospitals or training schemes.
- The prize will be administered by the UCC Medical Alumni Committee in conjunction with the Director of Postgraduate Education, Cork University Hospital. For each prize three assessors will adjudicate on the papers submitted. The recommendation of the assessors will be submitted for approval to the Medical School Board, and the Board of the College of Medicine.
- For each prize appropriate advertisement will be issued seeking submission of the work within two months. Judgement and awarding of the prize will take place over the following few months and the next prize will be advertised two years following the date of the previous advertisement. The prize shall be awarded by the Head Of the College of Medicine and Health (or nominee) at the UCC Medical Alumni Scientific Meeting.
- The prize shall consist of a script, and an honorarium, currently valued at c. €600