- The Royal Irish Academy Charlemont Awards https://www.ria.ie/2017-class-charlemont-scholars-award-ceremony On 9th March 2017, six UCC members of staff were awarded a Charlemont Grant including our staff member (Dr. Helen Lynch) for her research in "Playgrounds of inclusion: A study of social inclusion, disability and the environment".
- Two of our Year 1 students (Grainne Moran & Emma Ryan) were shortlisted in UCC PLUS+ "Lee Prize for Civic Engagement" and were awarded €1,000 for their work on the Bishopstown AT Homework Club. There were five members of the club and each person will get €200 each. The "Lee Prize for Civic Engagement" is an new annual award from UCC which is offered to students who have made an outstanding contribution to the social, cultural or economic life of the region.
- The Road Safety Authority (RSA) in association with the National Programme Office for Traffic Medicine awarded a grant to Dr. Carol Sinnott, Dr. Colin Bradley & five researchers which included a member of our staff (Ms. Linda Horgan) for their research project "Talking to patients with cognitive impairment about fitness to drive: current approaches and possible improvement strategies for a general practice setting". Further information can be found at: https://www.ucc.ie/en/med-health/news/fullstory-715528-en.html
- The Association of Occupational Therapists of Ireland (AOTI) highly commended a project that our staff members (Dr. Helen Lynch and Ms. Linda Horgan) had put forward for the "Ann Beckett Award 2016". Their project was entitled "Desire to Design". The AOTI said the project was valuable & innovative and will certainly go on to inspire other schools to reflect on play provision and opportunities for children. More information can be found at: http://www.gaelscoiluiriada.ie/nuachtnews/cul-an-ti-the-ann-beckett-award-2016/?lang=en and http://www.gaelscoiluiriada.ie/nuachtnews/cul-anti-oscailt-oifigiuil/?lang=en
- Our Year 4 students (Julie Sexton & Aine Blake) are members of UCC's CARL Initiative (Community Academic Research Links) and they spoke with UCC's Motley Magazine about the initiative. The article on this can be found at CARL Initiative Article Motley Magazine March 2017
- Our Dept had three students who graduated with their Masters (MSc Evidence Based Therapy Practice) at the recent Autumn & Winter Exam Boards (Nita Desai, Kate Murphy and Mukesh Gandhi). We also had one student who graduated with her Masters By Research at last year's Summer Exam Board (Niamh Ni Chrualaoi). Well done all!
- Visit of PhD student from Malta: 9 - 11 November 2015.
- Visit of two members of staff from Lulea University of Technology in Sweden: 26 - 30 October 2015.
- Annual Yr 1 Creative Exhibition in the Jennings Gallery Brookfield UCC: 17 September 2015. More information can be found at: https://www.ucc.ie/en/jennings-gallery/
- Staff members (Karen McCarthy & Patrick Hynes) presented at the Occupational Science Europe Conference in Bournemouth UK: 3 September 2015.
- 2nd Yr OT Student (Laura Coughlan) received the highest mark in the class in one of her assignments on volunteering experience during first year. Further information on this can be found on Page 9 of the College of Medicine & Health's Sept's Newsletter; https://www.ucc.ie/en/media/academic/medicineandhealth/news/CoMHNewsletterSeptember2015.pdf
- OT Graduate (Liath Sheehan) was hired last year as an OT in UCC's Disability Services. Liath is the first OT to be hired as part of Student Services at UCC. Further information on this can be found on Page 23 of the College of Medicine & Health's Sept Newsletter; https://www.ucc.ie/en/media/academic/medicineandhealth/news/CoMHNewsletterSeptember2015.pdf
- Annual Yr 4 Poster Presentations in Brookfield UCC: 26 May 2015. Final Yr 4 students showcase their research posters based on their final year research projects. Several awards were given out at the event including "Highest Graduating Mark" to Ciara Crowley, "The Susan Ryan Award" to Mary O'Donovan for her professionalism, creativity & entrepreneurial abilities as an OT student and "The Mary Coveney Award" to Mairead Hyland for obtaining the highest mark in practice education/work placement. Furthe infomation can be found at http://www.ucc.ie/en/media/academic/medicineandhealth/news/CoMHNewsletterJuly2015(7).pdf
- OT Graduate (Bianca Doherty) was successful in being awarded a summer immersion programm in the USA (2015). Further informaton can be found at http://chan.usc.edu/academics/global-initiatives/soti
- Quercus College Scholars 2014: scholarships were awarded to OT students Aine Blake (Yr 1), Ellen Coakley (Yr 2) & Aisling Deasy (Yr 3).
Practice Education Newsletters
Welcome to our latest Issue of our OT Practice Education Newsletter Pract Ed Newsletter Issue 3
Our Practice Education Team here in the Department of Occupational Therapy run a newsletter twice a year. The newsletter is packed with news and updates across our OT region. We hope you find them informative and welcome your feedback on the newsletter.
- October 2013 - ENOTHE Annual Conference, York, UK. In attendance was staff member; Karen McCarthy and students; Danielle Ellard & Cathy Moir.
- October 2013 - Study of Occupation Conference, Kentucky, USA. In attendance were staff members; Helen Lynch & Jeanne Jackson.
- September 2013 - the Dept of Occupational Therapy UCC’s Annual Yr 1 Creative Exhibition http://www.ucc.ie/en/jennings-gallery/past/5sept2013occupationawakeningtotheeveryday/
- June 2013 - College of Occupational Therapists UK (COT) Annual Conference, Glasgow, Scotland. In attendance was staff member; Jeanne Jackson.
- May 2013 – UCC’s Strategic Fund Award to ISS21 Children’s and Young Peoples Group resulted in visits to Sheffield Children’s Research Centre by staff member Helen Lynch who was part of the grant application. Return visits to UCC by researchers from Sweden & the UK were hosted by ISS21 in return in October & November 2013.
- April 2013 - AOTI Annual Conference, Mullingar, Co. Meath. In attendance was staff members; Jeanne Jackson, Helen Lynch, Sandra Patton & Karen McNulty.
- February 2013 – the Dept of Occupational Therapy ran a Sensory Integration Education Workshop (the workshop looked at how sensory integration is used to understand & intervene with children who have sensory needs). It was facilitated by Ms. Valerie Cribbin & staff member Helen Lynch.
- January 2013 - the Dept of Occupational Therapy received accreditation for another 5 years from the Association of Occupational Therapists of Ireland (AOTI).
- January 2013 - staff members Jeanne Jackson & Clare O'Sullivan attended the "Human Agent: Capabilities & Justice Symposium - A Dialogue Between Philosophy & Occupational Science" at the IFZ Salzburg.
- Erasmus: While maintaining current Erasmus links with the University of Cardiff in Wales and the University of Lillebaelt in Odense (Denmark), the Dept of Occupational Therapy further developed new emerging partnerships with the University of Salzburg in Austria and the University of Applied Sciences FH Campus Wien in Vienna (Austria). Staff members; Linda Horgan & Helen Lynch visited the university in Vienna in April 2013.
- New Placement Sites: New placement sites were established at Sli Eile Mental Health Service in Buttevant, Co. Cork and Disability Support Services at UCC. Yr 4 students will visit Sli Eile and Yr 3 & Yr 4 students will work at the Disability Support Services with UCC students who have a disability. Staff member; Karen McCarthy will supervise both sites.
- Student Awards this year went to:
Marie Caulfield (for the Highest Graduating Mark)
Orla Buckley (The Susan Ryan Award)
Maire Caulfield (The Mary Coveney Award)
Niamh Ni Chrualai (Dr. HH Stewart Scholarship)
Eva Lyons, Ellen Coakley & Niamh Crowley (UCC’s College of Medicine & Health Undergrad Scholarship)
Sarah Hinchion (UCC’s Quercus Entrance Scholarship)
Jessica Kennedy (Undergraduate Award- National Winner of Social Innovations Section)
The Dept of Occupational Therapy’s First Masters by Research Student (Erin Riley) and
First Doctorate in Occupational Therapy Student (Dr. Janice Crausaz) graduated in November 2013.