Student Assistance Fund

Information regarding Student Assistance Fund 2017/18


The Student Assistance Fund Committee regrets to announce that the funds for 2017/18 have now been fully allocated and no new applications or additional documentation can be accepted.


If you are experiencing financial difficulty please contact the Student Budgetary Advisor at




What Is The Student Assistance Fund?

The Student Assistance Fund provides financial assistance for full-time higher education students who are experiencing financial difficulties whilst attending college.

The Student Assistance Fund is part supported by the Irish Government and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.

The Student Assistance Fund provides a further source of funding for higher education students in addition to the Student Grant.

Who Can Apply For The Student Assistance Fund?

All full-time registered students (subject to EU status), undergraduate and postgraduate, for the 2017/18 academic year are eligible to apply for assistance from the fund. Students participating in foundation courses or part-time courses are not eligible for this fund. Also, students pursuing a second Degree/second Masters/second PhD are ineligible. Students may be supported for one repeat year only. PhD applicants may be supported for years 1 – 4.

Where Is The Student Assistance Fund Office Located?

The address of the office is:

Student Assistance Fund Office
1st Floor
1-2 Brighton Villas
Western Road
Location of SAF Office on UCC Map

What Financial Documents Do I Require?

The type of documents generally required are P21's, Social Welfare Statements or Notice of Assessment/Self-Assessment Letters depending on your households individual circumstances. Section D of the appliation gives a fuller indication of what is required but a general guide is below:

  • For PAYE Workers And/Or Social Welfare Recipients :

A copy of Form P21 for the year ended December 31st 2016 (available from the Revenue Commissioners)


statement from the Social Welfare Office showing the total amounts received for the year ended December 31st 2016.

(Please note that even if Social Welfare payments are included on a P21, you still need a seperate social welfare statement)


  • For Self-Employed and Persons engaged in Farming Activities:

A copy of Notice of Assessment / Self-Assessment Letter – Chapter 4 in respect of the year ended December 31st 2016


Copy of Audited Accounts (i.e. Trading/Profit and Loss Account, Capital Account & Balance Sheet) for each business for year ended December 31st 2016.



Non-Irish Income/Welfare Payments

If your household has worked or received any type of social welfare payments or income from another country in 2016, then you need to provide official documentation from that country to show the income received for all of 2016.

Other countries may not have the calendar year as their tax year, so you may need to provide two years of income documents (e.g UK tax documents are April to April).

If these documents are not in English, then you need to get them officially translated into English.

It may also be advisable to make an appointment to discuss your particular situation.

What Income Do You Assess?

It is the household income for 2016 that we assess and could be one of the following situations (not an exhaustive list):

  • Over 23 on January 1st of first year of entry for present course and living independently of parents

Assessed on their own personal circumstances - (single, married, living with partner, seperated, divorced)


  • Over 23 on January 1st of first year of entry for present course living with parent/guardian

Assessed on the income of parent/guardian and their own income


  • Under 23 on January 1st of first year of entry for present course

Assessed on the income of their parent/guardian and their own income


  • Under 23 on January 1st of first year of entry for present course and asserting financial independence

Will need to provide evidence of the financial independence, an affidavit from a solicitor and other supporting documentation to support their assertion. Make an appointment with the SAF office.


How Do I Determine My EU Status?

This is an EU funded programme and is open to citizens of the EU union.

If other applicants have EU naturalization/citizenship/ refugee/asylum status, then documentation needs to be submitted with the application to demonstrate same.

International students should check the criteria on  and for further information on eligibility for this fund.

Applicants should hold EU nationality or official refugee status and have been ordinarily resident in an EU Member State for at least three of the five years preceding their entry to an approved third level course.

Visiting Erasmus students need to apply to their home university for funding.

What Can The Award Monies Be Used For?

There is no longer a requirement to submit receipts to receive your award. The new simplified proecdure will be explained if you are successful in your application for funding.

The following items are allowable types of expenditure for the Student Assistance Fund:

Books Class materials
Rent Travel of an urgent or essential nature
Food, Heat & Light Childcare Expenses
Medical expenses Expenses associated with bereavement
Compulsory study abroad Expenses associated with family breakdown
Expenses assoc from accidents  

Unsuccessful Application Or Have Feedback/Complaint To Give?

There is an appeals process and the full details are outlined in our  Student Assistance Fund Appeals Processdocument


If you wish to provide feedback or make a complaint please click on this feedback link.: - Feedback

Other Useful Links

Financial Information can be obtained through the following websites/phone numbers:


Form P21 is available from the Revenue Commissioners Office.  Tel: 1890 222 425 (Southern Region enquiries).

See for other areas and on-line requests (


Notice of Assessment/ Self Assessment Letter is required for persons who are self employed or engaged in farming.

Contact the Revenue Commisioners Office at 021 6027000 (Cork area enquiries). 

See for other areas and on-line requests (


Social Welfare Documentation can be obtained from the Department of Social Protection. 

See for your local office contact details or on-line requests. (

Data Protection

Data Protection: HEA Statement

There are a number of questions that are required as part of HEA reporting requirements. As part of this you need to be informed under Data Protection that:

  • personal data collected as part of the application process may be processed for the purposes of coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the operation of the Fund and to comply with European Union requirements,
  • this personal data may include personally sensitive data where they choose to share that data, and
  • personal data may be shared with third parties for the purpose of monitoring and reporting on European Social Fund co-financed activities.


Data Protection Notice: How we use your data: SAF

Any personal data you provide to SAF in this application process is subject to the Data Protection Acts, 1988 and 2003 and will be used by SAF for the purposes of facilitating your application to the Student Assistance Fund.

Your data will be held securely and will not be shared with any external third parties, other than prescribed by HEA requirements. You have a right to ask for a copy of any personal data held about you and to have any inaccuracies in such personal data corrected. If you wish to avail of this right, please write to: The Information Compliance Officer, University College Cork, 4 Carrigside, College Road, Cork (

If you have any questions in relation to this, please contact a member of the SAF team on 021 4903562/

In completing the application form, you understand and agree that your personal details will be used by SAF for the purposes outlined above.


Student Assistance Fund Office

1st floor,