Welcome to the Health & Safety Office
We advise upon and support, the proactive management of employee occupational health and safety at the corporate level within UCC. In line with the provisions of best practice and SHWW law, UCC conducts and manages employee occupational h&s on a functional area/college & department basis, via the senior executive managers and heads of department, who manage and control operations/deliver services - whether academic or academic support in nature. The Health & Safety Office supports each functional areas through professional advice and management support. Our advice and efforts is focused on:
- Facilitating work/research activities of staff and the development of the University, in a manner which minimises risk to all persons and to UCC overall.
- The pro-active prevention of accidents & ill health to employees and 3rd parties/students, who may be injured by the work conducted by employees.
- Instilling a safety culture and ownership of safety in management and employees, at all levels. Improving knowledge levels and h&s competency.
- Minimising financial loss, maintaining employee wellbeing & productivity.
- Compliance with statutory requirements. The effective management of risk.
- Elimination /designing out of risk at source wherever practicable
- Quality, value for money
- Best practice standards of safety & risk management
- Raising performance standards within each functional area.
- Targeted, progressive reduction in occupational h&s risks and risk profile at UCC.
Mission of the Health and Safety Office
The Health and Safety Office endeavours to ensure that the Functional Heads of the University and their constituent Colleges/Schools/Departments/Centres/Units comply, as appropriate, with current and developing health and safety legislation. The Office endeavours also, in accordance with the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005, to promote the proactive prevention of accidents\ill-health of UCC employees and those who may be effected by the work of those employees.
Address: Health & Safety Office, Main Campus UCC, No.5 Carrigside, College Rd., Cork
Location: Terraced building, southern side of the College road, opposite Civil Engineering/the College Road entrance to UCC.
Tel: 00353- 21 4902817 or 00353-21 4902997