UCC Marine Geosciences Research Group
We are a diverse group of researchers with a common focus on the spatial and temporal marine science of the seabed. Our current research areas encapsulate Quaternary to recent sediments from the continental margin to the shelf to the coast with previous work on mid-ocean ridge settings.
We have expertise in seabed mapping, sedimentology, palaeoceanography and shallow seismic and have developed a number of research areas on the bio-geology of cold-water coral mounds (and habitats); Quaternary stratigraphy, glacial history and palaeoenvironments; benthic sedimentology and sediment transport; seabed mapping, seabed characterisation and geomatics; and offshore resources (offshore renewable energy, mineral sands and aggregates).
For more information on the group's research areas, browse through the project tab.
- 8 deep water mini-lander systems (with current profilers and 360 degree benthic sediment traps; see here for more details about our Little MonStas!)
- Portable Side Scan Sonar (450 kHz)
- Drop camera system
- Malvern Mastersizer 3000
- Sieve stacks and sediment lab
- Wilfley table
- Core storage
- GIS lab
- Geomicroscopy lab
- Full seabed mapping processing and visualization suite (Fledermaus Chimera, IHS Kingdom, eCognition, ArcGIS, Agisoft pro)
- Sediment lab
- 3D visualisation workstation