Financial Aid Fund For Part Time Students

Information regarding the Financial Aid Fund for Part Time Students 2017/18

The Financial Aid Fund for Part Time Students will open for applications on Tuesday 13th February 2018

There will be briefing sessions held on campus as follows:

Tues 13th Feb:   West Wing 9,         6.00 - 6.30pm & 6.30 - 7.00pm

Thurs 15th Feb:  West Wing 6,        6.00 - 6.30pm & 6.30 - 7.00pm

Mon 19th Feb:     Boole 5,               5.00 - 5.30pm & 5.30 - 6.00pm

Wed 21st Feb:     Boole 6,               5.00 - 5.30pm & 5.30 - 6.00pm

Additional pop-up clinics will be held subsequent to these briefing sessions where you can pop along and ask any quick questions you may have. These dates will be advertised on this website.

What Is the Financial Aid Fund for Part Time Students?

The Financial Aid Fund provides financial assistance for part-time higher education students who are experiencing financial difficulties whilst attending college. It is a seperate amont of monies allocated to part time students that comes under the auspices of the Student Assistance Fund.

The Student Assistance Fund is part supported by the Irish Government and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.


Who Can Apply For The Financial Aid Fund?

All part-time students (subject to EU status), registered on courses that lead to a higher education award (NFQ level 6-10), for the 2017/18 academic year are eligible to apply for assistance from the fund.

However students pursuing a programme at the same or lower level than a qualification they already possess are ineligible to apply. Students may be supported for one repeat year only. PhD applicants may be supported for years 1 – 4 only.

This financial aid fund, as directed by the HEA, is primarily targeted at lone parents or members of the other access target groups. However, any eligible part-time student who is facing financial difficulty should consider applying to the fund.

The target access groups includes those who identify as:

Lone Parent                                   ¨

Irish Traveller                                ¨

Teen Parent                                  ¨

First time entrant to college           ¨

Low Income Household                ¨

Student with disability                   ¨

Socially Disadvantaged Area          ¨

Non-Manual/Unskilled Worker     ¨


How Do I Submit My Application?

Application Forms can be posted or by drop off to:

Financial Aid Fund, SAF Office, 1st Floor, 1-2 Brighton Villas, Western Road, UCC.

We do not accept applications by email.

The closing date for the fund is Monday 9th April 2018.There are only limited funds available so the fund prioritises those as outlined in the "Who can apply" section. Therefore not all requests for funding can be met. Where there are more successful applications than funds available, the fund is operated on a "first come first served" basis. It is important to complete and submit your application form as soon as you can as the funds are limited.  Only one application per academic year can be made.

There is no requirement to visit the office in person. 

There are no general opening hours to the SAF office for submitting your application form.

Visits are by appointment only.

Please visit the appointments section of this website to book an appointment if you are having difficulty in determining what documents you need, you have a complex situation or you have had a change of circumstance.




Where Can I Get An Application Form?

Application forms are available from the link below:

Financial Aid Fund Application Form

Where Is The Financial Aid Fund Located?

The address of the office is:

Finanical Aid Fund
SAF Office
1st Floor
1-2 Brighton Villas
Western Road
Location of SAF Office on UCC Map

What If I Have Any Questions About The Form Or The Process?

All queries on the application form can be answered by first reading the information on this website.

Visits to the office can only be facilitated through appointments and please visit the appointments section of the website to book a suitable time.

Any additional questions can be emailed to the Administrator:



What Income Do You Assess?

It is the household income for 2016 that we assess and could be one of the following situations (not an exhaustive list):

  • Over 23 on January 1st of first year of entry for present course and living independently of parents:

Assessed on their own personal circumstances - (single, married, living with partner, seperated, divorced)


  • Over 23 on January 1st of first year of entry for present course living with parent/guardian:

Assessed on the income of parent(s)/guardian(s) and their own income


  • Under 23 on January 1st of first year of entry for present course:

Assessed on the income of their parent(s)/guardian(s) and their own income


  • Under 23 on January 1st of first year of entry for present course and asserting financial independence:

Will need to provide evidence of the financial independence, an affidavit from a solicitor and other supporting documentation to support their assertion. Make an appointment with the office.


What Financial Documents Do I Require?

The type of documents generally required are P21's, Social Welfare Statements or Notice of Assessment/Self-Assessment Letters depending on your households individual circumstances. Examples of the type of documents required are given in the "Case Studies and Sample Documents" section of this website. Section D of the appliation form gives a fuller indication of what is required but a general guide is below:

  • For Those Who Had PAYE Income Only in 2016:

A copy of Form P21 for the year ended December 31st 2016 (available from the Revenue Commissioners). P60's which you get from your employer are not sufficient.


  • For Those Who Had Social Welfare Payments Only in 2016:

statement from the Social Welfare Office showing the total amounts received for the year ended December 31st 2016. Weekly paymrent slips or letters than don't specify the full calendar year of 2016 are not sufficient. We exclude child benefit and rent supplement/HAP payments so there is no need to provide doumenation for these types of payments.


  • For Those Who Had PAYE Income and Social Welfare Payments in 2016:

A P21 and Social Welfare Statement for 2016 are required. Please note that even if Social Welfare payments are included on a P21, you still need a seperate social welfare statement.


  • For Those Who Had VTOS/ETB payments in 2016:

A letter/statement from the VTOS/ETB office outlining what payments you received in total for 2016 is required. If in addition to this, Social Welfare was claimed for some of the year a separate Social Welfare Statement as above is also required.


  • For Those Who Were on TUS/CE/RSS Schemes in 2016:

These schemes are treated as taxable employment and require a P21 for 2016.


  • For Self-Employed and Persons Engaged In Farming Activities in 2016:

A copy of Notice of Assessment / Self-Assessment Letter – Chapter 4 or 5 in respect of the year ended December 31st 2016


Copy of Audited Accounts (i.e. Trading/Profit and Loss Account, Capital Account & Balance Sheet) for each business for year ended December 31st 2016.


  • Non-Irish Income/Welfare Payments

If your household has worked or received any type of social welfare payments or income from another country in 2016, then you need to provide official documentation from that country to show the income received for all of 2016.

Other countries may not have the calendar year as their tax year, so you may need to provide two years of income documents (e.g UK tax documents are April to April).

If these documents are not in English, then you need to get them officially translated into English.

It may also be advisable to make an appointment to discuss your particular situation.

How Do I Determine My EU Status?

This is an EU funded programme and is open to citizens of the EU union.

If other applicants have EU naturalization/citizenship/ refugee/asylum status, then documentation needs to be submitted with the application to demonstrate same.

International students should check the criteria on  and for further information on eligibility for this fund.

Applicants should hold EU nationality or official refugee status and have been ordinarily resident in an EU Member State for at least three of the five years preceding their entry to an approved third level course.


What Can The Award Monies Be Used For?

The following items are allowable types of expenditure for the Financial Aid Fund:

Books Class materials
Rent Travel of an urgent or essential nature
Food, Heat & Light Childcare Expenses
Medical expenses Expenses associated with bereavement
Compulsory study abroad Expenses associated with family breakdown
Expenses assoc from accidents  

The fund cannot be used for tuition fees related to the course you are undertaking.

Unsuccessful Application Or Have Feedback/Complaint To Give?

There is an appeals process and the full details are outlined in our  Student Assistance Fund Appeals Process document


If you wish to provide feedback or make a complaint please click on this feedback link.: - Feedback

Other Useful Links

Financial Information can be obtained through the following websites/phone numbers:


Form P21 is available from the Revenue Commissioners Office.  Tel: 1890 222 425 (Southern Region enquiries).

See for other areas and on-line requests (


Notice of Assessment/ Self Assessment Letter is required for persons who are self employed or engaged in farming.

Contact the Revenue Commisioners Office at 021 6027000 (Cork area enquiries). 

See for other areas and on-line requests (


Social Welfare Documentation can be obtained from the Department of Social Protection. 

See for your local office contact details or on-line requests. (


HEA Guidelines on Fund

Data Protection

Data Protection: HEA Statement

There are a number of questions that are required as part of HEA reporting requirements. As part of this you need to be informed under Data Protection that:

  • personal data collected as part of the application process may be processed for the purposes of coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the operation of the Fund and to comply with European Union requirements,
  • this personal data may include personally sensitive data where they choose to share that data, and
  • personal data may be shared with third parties for the purpose of monitoring and reporting on European Social Fund co-financed activities.


Data Protection Notice: How we use your data: Financial Aid Fund (known as SAF)

Any personal data you provide to SAF in this application process is subject to the Data Protection Acts, 1988 and 2003 and will be used by SAF for the purposes of facilitating your application to the Student Assistance Fund.

Your data will be held securely and will not be shared with any external third parties, other than prescribed by HEA requirements. You have a right to ask for a copy of any personal data held about you and to have any inaccuracies in such personal data corrected. If you wish to avail of this right, please write to: The Information Compliance Officer, University College Cork, 4 Carrigside, College Road, Cork (

If you have any questions in relation to this, please contact a member of the SAF team on 021 4903562 or email

In completing the application form, you understand and agree that your personal details will be used by SAF for the purposes outlined above.


Student Assistance Fund Office

1st floor,