Dr Sarah McCloskey
Adjunct Senior Clinical Lecturer, UCC CEO, DN, MSc, BA (hons), Diploma healthcare leadership, Registered Nurse (General)
Dr McCloskey is a leader in the field of Specialist Palliative Care. She has more than 20 years of experience in the clinical areas of oncology, haematology and palliative care. She is a registered nurse, has a BA (hons) Social Policy (Health and Welfare), MSc Nursing, Diploma in Quality and Leadership in Healthcare and most recently graduated from UCC with a Doctorate in Nursing in 2018.
Dr McCloskey is currently Chief Executive Officer of Marymount University Hospital and Hospice, Cork. She currently leads this service that provides services including daycare, in patient services, acute hospitals and across a community of 550,000 people. She has been at the helm of numerous change management initiatives including the expansion of services, the redevelopment of risk management, cost containment, strategy development and developing a new model for fundraising.
Dr McCloskey has a National leadership role in palliative care. She makes a significant contribution through her strategic role through the following:
- On site registered provider (HIQA) Company secretary (2014- present)
- Member of the AIIHPC (2014- present)
- Member of the National framework palliative care- core costs (2018)
- Chair of the National framework palliative care- community provision (2018-2019)
- CEO Representative on National Clinical Programme working group (2017-2018)
- Member of the Voluntary Hospice Group (2014- present)
- Member of the Association of Hospital Chief Executives (2014- present)
- Contact point for liaising with new hospices internationally in respect of building, operating, planning and developing hospice services including UK, New Zealand (2010- present). Dr McCloskey liaised with the multi-disciplinary team, the design team and the contractors and wrote the operational plan for the relocation of the hospice in 2011.
- Dr McCloskey leads a team that achieved 100% compliance with HIQA regulations and standards (2017 and 2018).
Dr McCloskey has presented on a variety of topics including policy and practice (UCC); risk management (UCC); role of the CEO/ leadership (UCC); Mission/ ethos (Marymount); Spiritual Well-being; Governance; fundraising and Specialist Palliative care.
Contact: Sarah McCloskey