About - Innovation/ Entrepreneurship Scholarships
At University College Cork, we believe in creating an environment in which academic excellence can be combined with opportunities for personal development. We also recognise UCC’s role in job creation by nurturing entrepreneurship, supporting the acceleration of business start-ups and the turning of innovative ideas into innovative products and services.
Therefore, we are pleased to announce that we will be awarding up to 3 Quercus Scholarships for innovation/entrepreneurship to students registered on an undergraduate/level 8 programme in 2018/19. These students should demonstrate an exceptional level of excellence and will have been selected by the Scholarship Panel for a Quercus Scholarship.
The Scholarship can be renewed for subsequent years, subject to a Scholar making a sufficient contribution to the life of UCC, engaging with the activities of the Quercus Talented Students’ Programme and being able to progress to the next level of study in their academic programme.
Scholars will be expected to act as ambassadors for UCC in terms of their participation in innovation/entrepreneurial activities and in their participation in activities designed to promote the Quercus Programme.
The act of balancing academic achievement, innovation/entrepreneurial excellence and personal development remains a challenge for talented people. Through the Quercus Talented Students’ Programme, UCC is committed to enhancing the innovation/entrepreneurial achievements of young people, as well as making a positive impact on the future of the Irish economy.
- Be either a registered UCC student, or apply through CAO for a place on an undergraduate/level 8 programme at University College Cork in 2018/19
- Read the Criteria and Terms of Reference of the Quercus Innovation/Entrepreneurship Scholarship here: Innovation/Entrepreneurship Scholarship - Terms of Reference
- Complete the Quercus Innovation/Entrepreneurship Scholarship Application Form onlineusing the 'Apply now' option below.
Please read the Applicant Instructions for Online Application before you begin.
Closing date for application is the 11th of February 2018.
For any queries please email email@example.com
- Meet the minimum entry requirements (matriculation) of their desired undergraduate/level 8 programme, while currently registered students will need to have attained higher honours in their end of year examinations to be eligible. Applicants do not need to be pursuing a related programme to be deemed eligible.
- Be able to provide evidence of sustained engagement in innovative/entrepreneurial activities.
- Have evidence of achievement and/or impact of an innovative or entrepreneurial nature.
- Have the potential to develop that excellence in their chosen field
- Have had recognition at local, regional, national, or international level.
- Be expected to act as ambassadors for UCC and the Quercus Programme in terms of their participation in their chosen field.
Where there are equivalent levels of excellence applicants deemed able to contribute most to UCC will be selected.
Please note that the Quercus Scholarships are open to students currently registered in, or applying for, any undergraduate/level 8 programme offered by UCC.
The five strands of talented students within the programme will benefit from a wide range of academic, financial, personal, and other supports. Each talented student will begin the programme with a one-to-one meeting with the Director of the Quercus Programme. This meeting will involve an assessment of the student’s needs, following which an individual programme plan will be developed and agreed for the forthcoming year. Individual programme plans will endeavour to ensure that participation in the Talented Students' Programme will lead to a broadening of students’ full spectrum of talents.
These benefits may include:
- Campus Accommodation
- Fee Waiver
- Travel/research Bursary
- Summer internship
- Life Coaching
- Book Vouchers
- Participation in University wide modules
- Individualised Career advice
- Academic Mentor
- Innovation/Entrepreneurship mentor
- Invitations to relevant networking events
- Flexible academic arrangements
- Participation in relevant workshops/master classes
Each Scholar’s participation in the programme will be reviewed and assessed annually. To progress in the programme, Scholars will be expected to demonstrate continuing exceptional achievement in their talent area, and satisfactory academic performance. There will be a managed exit from the programme for students who do not progress.