Perioperative Pain Management
- A comparison of the analgesic efficacy of local infiltration analgesia versus intrathecal morphine for total knee arthoplasty.
- Fascial layers influence the spread of injectate during ultrasound guided infraclavicular brachial plexus block – a cadaver study.
- EFIC-PAIN OUT Project addressing quality of post-operative pain management in Europe by continuous quality improvement and peer review.
- Characterization of rebound pain following peripheral nerve block and its association with gut microbiome diversity.
Evidence based training of doctors
- Does targeted educational intervention based on psychometric screening improve ultrasound-guided regional anaesthesia performance?
- Effect of proficiency-based progression training on failure rate for ultrasound-guided axillary brachial plexus block.
- A proficiency-based progression simulation programme improves ISBAR performance compared to standard training. A randomised control trial.
- Construct validity of metrics for internal jugular central access insertion. Joint project with the College of Anaesthetists of Ireland and ASSERT Centre UCC.
- Effects of metrics-based vs. standard (non metric based) feedback to novices learning to perform ultrasound-guided nerve blockade, in terms of performance of ultrasound guided needle advancement and injection in a simulated setting.
- Peri-interventional Outcome Study in the Elderly (POSE). Investigator: Peter Lee Site lead with European Society of Anaesthesologists.
- Prospective validation of CriSTAL (Criteria for Screening and Triaging to Appropriate alternative care). Investigator: Dorothy Breen Site lead.