About This Course
Coaching and Coaching Psychology
NFQ Award Title
€4,500 per academic year See Fees and Costs for full details.
Applications will be considered from those who have relevant experience in a related area of work. See Requirements for full details.
30th August 2019
September 2019 - TBC
The Higher Diploma in Coaching/Coaching Psychology will provide you with the skills, understanding, awareness and knowledge to be effective coaches in both life and business domains and to respond creatively and positively to the current demands and uncertainties of life.
Class takes place one evening per week plus some weekend workshops. There is a one-off campus experiential workshop at year end (costing approximately €150 for food, travel and accommodation)
Continuous assessment based on academic essays and reflective assignments.
Who Teaches this Course?
Hugh O’Donovan. C Psychol., P.s.S.I. MISCP. MBPsS
Pat O’Leary. BA. H.Dip. MA. MSc. CIPD
Why Choose This Course
Throughout our lives the three fundamental challenges we face are dealing with people, problems and tasks. Much of our learning is around problem solving and getting the job done. However as we progress through life and our careers we are faced with the choice of taking more responsibility and inevitably leading and managing others. In this instance we have not always developed an awareness of our style of engagement and how best to develop a conversation that is likely to motivate others and enhance their performance and well-being. This course explores a positive engagement with self and the processes underpinning positive approaches to motivating others both individually and in groups/teams.
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the theory underpinning coaching and a range of models and approaches to coaching
- Coach a coachee from a current state to a desired state
- Develop a reflective practice to support your coaching process
This course potentially grows and develops the inter-personal and intra-personal skills (emotional intelligence and fitness) which are likely to add value in the development of your career and are transferable and applicable in business, organisational, educational and health settings amongst others.
The coaching skills developed on this programme are likely to help individuals and groups improve performance, increase well-being, harness and apply strengths, achieve goals and build resilience in dealing with uncertainty and change.
- Candidates will be required to have relevant experience in a related working role or hold a primary degree in any discipline
- Candidates may be required to attend for interview
- English Language Requirement
- All applicants whose first language is not English must have attained IELTS Level 6.5 or the equivalent TOEFL
Fees and Costs
€4,500 per academic year
Students who are registered on this programme are eligible to apply for the Financial Aid Fund for Part Time Students. Eligibility criteria applies. For more information see https://www.ucc.ie/en/finaidpt
How Do I Apply
During your online application you will be required to upload the following documents:
- Application Statement
- Birth Cert or Passport
- Passport Photograph
- Curriculum Vitae
- English Language Test Report [if applicable]
- Transcripts [if applicable]
NOTE: Once you have selected your course your application saves automatically. If you don't complete your application in one session you can access your draft application in the "My Applications" section of the UCC360 application portal. The My Applications section will also keep you updated on the status of your application.
You can also download and post in your application ACE Application Form 2019
Year 1 Modules
- AD5004: The Skilled Coach (15 credits)
- AD5005: Coaching Project (15 credits)
Research and review of Coaching material.
- AP5812: Coaching and the Coaching Context (5 credits)
Background, History, Coaching qualities, skills and competencies.
- AP5813: Coaching Approaches, Models and Interventions (10 credits)
Approaches, models and coaching interventions.
- AP5814: The Psychology of Coaching and Perspectives on the Self (10 credits)
How the mind works, self awareness and mindfulness.
- AP5815: Intra/Inter personal Communciation and Awareness (5 credits)
Communication, empathetic listening skills.