|Teaching Mode||Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.|
|NFQ Level||Level 7|
|NFQ Award Title||Special Purpose|
|Fees||€2,800 per academic year See Fees and Costs for full details.|
|Closing Date||15 September 2023|
|Next Intake||October 2023|
Blended - Online lectures with in person workshops. See Additional Teaching Information Mode for Further Details.
|Start Date||October 2023|
The Diploma in Food Science and Technology is a part-time course over two years. The course gives you an understanding of food science, microbiology, food processing technology, nutrition and food business. It will allow you to upgrade your knowledge, skills and competencies. Particular emphasis is placed on linking basic principles with their practical application in industry.
- In year one you will take modules in Food Chemistry, Food Microbiology, Food Technology, Food Engineering and Nutrition.
- In year two you will take modules in Food Chemistry, Food Microbiology, Food Process Technology, Quality Systems and Food Business.
- You also complete an individual assignment each year designed to integrate and apply the knowledge and understanding acquired on the course to a chosen topic.
The Modules for the Diploma are as follows:
- FC1800 Food Chemistry I
- FS1800 Food Microbiology I
- FT1800 Food Technology
- FN1800 Food Engineering
- NT1800 Nutrition
- FS1802 Work Related Assignment I
- FC2800 Food Chemistry II
- FS2800 Food Microbiology II
- FT2800 Food Process Technology
- FS2801 Quality Systems
- FS2802 Food Business
- FS2803 Work Related Assignment II
For Academic Queries and Course Content Queries please contact the Programme Coordinator Nadia Grasso at email@example.com.
For Online Application Support please click here.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
There will be 10 Friday and Saturday Sessions from October until May. Most of the Lectures will be held online with some In Person workshops on Campus.
This course takes place on the weekend with seminars from October to May
Atudents are assessed by end of module written examinations and a work-related assignment.
Why Choose This Course
The Irish food and drinks sector is one of Ireland’s most important indigenous industries. It has been identified as having a key role to play in Ireland’s export-led economic recovery. This is the only Diploma in Food Science and Technology in Ireland that is offered on a part-time basis.
- Applicants should hold NFQ/FETAC Level 5 qualification or have appropriate experience/qualifications in a food related area as deemed relevant by the Academic Director and Programme Manager.
- Applicants should have at least two years experience work.
Diploma programmes are offered subject to a minimum number of eligible applicants registering for the programme. Following completion of year 1 of this programme, should a sufficient number of eligible students not wish to progress form year 1 to year 2 of this programme as to make the year 2 viable, students will graduate with a certificate at that point. Programme viability is determined by reference to fee income and applicable costs in running the programme.
Fees and Costs
€2,800 per academic year.
How To Apply
To Apply for this course please follow the steps below:
When you log into the Application Portal:
Click Apply Online
Select Start a new Adult & Continuing Education Application
During your online application you will be required to upload the following documents:
- Birth Cert or Passport
- Passport Photograph
- English Language Test Report [if applicable]