About This Course
NFQ Award Title
€2,500 per academic year [UCC] See Fees and Costs for full details.
Candidates must be 21 years of age See Requirements for full details.
18 September 2023
Communication is the life-blood of any social system (family, health, social, religious, legal, community). Effective communication entails having an understanding of the dynamics of social systems and the types of communication that operate typically within them. The agent of communication is the self and, indeed, most communication is determined by how the individual communicates with self. The course will focus on both the personal and Interpersonal aspects of communication within and across the particular social systems of which course participants are members.
- To provide participants with a solid foundation in the theory and practice of personal and interpersonal communication
- To introduce participants to the influence of the different social systems – couple relationship, family, classroom, school, community, workplace, church, country on how individuals communicate
- To build effective ways of listening and communicating in the relationship with self and others
- To apply the mature communication developed to a variety of key social systems, particularly, the couple relationship, the family and the workplace
The six modules for the course are:
- Authentic Self Expression
- Family Relationships
- The Nature and Power of Emotions and Thought
- The Nature of Communication
- Holistic Approaches to Stress and Illness
- Sexual Maturation
The Modules for the Certificate are as follows:
- AP1849: Authentic Self Expression
- AP1850: Family Relationships
- AP1851: The Nature and Power of Emotions and Thought
- AP1852: The Nature of Communication
- AP1853: Holistic Approaches to Stress and Illness
- AP1854: Sexual Maturation
For Academic Queries and Course Content Queries please contact the Programme Coordinator Dr Tony Humphreys at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Online Application Support please click here.
If you require further assistance with your online application please contact the Programme Administrator Noreen Power at email@example.com.
UCC Centre - the course starts in September 2022 and it runs on Wednesdays from 5.00pm - 9.30pm.
Course assessment is by continuous assessment
Who teaches this course?
Dr Tony Humphreys
Why Choose This Course
This course offers individuals from all walks of life the opportunity to examine their lives and further develop their potential.
At the end of the course you will be:
- Proficient in the theory and practice of personal and interpersonal communication
- Familiar with the influence of the different social systems – couple relationship, family, classroom, school, community, workplace, church and country – on how individuals communicate
- Skilled in effective listening and communicating in the relationship with self and others
- Adept in applying mature communication to a variety of key social systems, particularly, the couple relationship, the family and the workplace
Being at least 21 years of age by 1 January of the year of application; A detailed application form prior to the closing date which will request applicants to present a 500 word statement outlining their reasons for wishing to register on the programme.
Fees and Costs
€2,500 per academic year [UCC]
€2,800 per academic year [Outreach Venue]
For further information on fees and financial supports please click here.
How Do I Apply
Applicants need to be aware of the IT student checklist below before applying:
- You will need access to a laptop or desktop computer running a modern supported operating system with all software updates.
- Some of UCC’s services (e.g. the Canvas Virtual Learning Environment) link to an external site and also have mobile apps for iOS and Android Devices that you may wish to use as part of your studies. However, we recommend using your desktop web browser for submission of assessments.
- You should always use the most current version of your preferred browser. In general, we recommend the Chrome Web browser (Important Note: Internet Explorer will not work with Canvas).
- We recommend a reliable broadband connection with at least 2Mbps or more.
- You will require an Office suite of software (Microsoft Office or equivalent) and a PDF reader. You should always use the latest version of this software. All UCC students will have access to Office 365 which includes software such as Word/Excel/Powerpoint etc. once registered.
To Apply for this course please follow the steps below:
When you log into the Application Portal:
Click Apply Online
Select Start a new Adult & Continuing Education Application
During your online application you will be required to upload the following documents:
- Application Statement
- Birth Cert or Passport
- Passport Photograph
- Curriculum Vitae
- English Language Test Report [if applicable]
- Transcripts [if applicable]