|NFQ Level||Level 7|
|Fees||€1,500 See Fees and Costs for full details.|
|Closing Date||31st January 2024|
|Next Intake||February 2024|
|Start Date||February 2024|
Effective project management is a critical success factor in today’s organizations. According to a Project Management Institute report in 2020, on average, 11.4% of investment in projects is wasted. This is not surprising, given that so many practicing project managers have no formal training, or accreditation in the subject. UCC is addressing this deficit by partnering with one of Ireland’s premier project management training companies, Velopi Ltd., to deliver a Level 7 programme that will provide students with the foundations for a career in project management.
Based on the international standard – the Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – this part-time, 100% online, certified course will provide a practical introduction to the industry best-practices required for successful project initiating, planning, execution and closing. It has been designed with the working professional in mind. All synchronous lectures and tutorials will be provided in the evenings.
Assessment will be based on a combination of individual portfolio of work, group case study along with an individual multiple-choice question exam. Please see below a short introduction about the module.
For Academic Queries and Course Content Queries please contact the Programme Coordinator Riona Doolan at email@example.com.
For Online Application Support please click here.
If you require further assistance with your online application please contact the Programme Administrator Louise Fleming at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course comprises a single 10-credit module delivered over one semester. It is designed for part-time students being 100% online. Students will be provided with self-study programme material online composed of 12 x 1-hour pre-recorded lectures.
They will be required to attend seven online workshops distributed over the 12 week course duration. These will be 3 hours in duration each. They will also be required to attend a 3 hour tutorial to receive guidance and feedback on course assessment.
Candidates will achieve the learning outcomes via three assessed components:
1. During the course, students will apply what they are learning to a case study. They will demonstrate their proficiency by developing a portfolio of work, comprising the principal project management artefacts. This is worth 20% of the total assessment.
2. A group case study. This is worth 40% of the total assessment.
3. Students will sit an online, 2-hour, multiple choice exam at the end of the module. This is worth 40% of the total assessment.
Why Choose This Course
Project management is an applied discipline and project management practitioners require the sort of hands-on training that an industry-based training company, such as Velopi Ltd. provides. However, they also require recognised academic qualifications to give them credibility in their profession. This Certificate in Continuing Professional Development in Project Management uniquely provides this combination. The course material has been developed by Velopi, based on over a decade’s worth of experience in project management training. It is delivered by experienced practitioners with an emphasis on the practical application of the knowledge acquired. At the same time, the module’s content and assessment has been rigorously evaluated by UCC’s academic staff to ensure that the course is consistent with university standards. Student’s work will be assessed by an external examiner and exposed to the requirements of an exam board thus ensuring that the recipient of this level 7 certificate has not only reached the standard required but will be seen by both existing and potential employers to have reached the standard.
Why compromise? There is no need to decide whether to opt for practical training, or a recognised academic credential. Apply for the Certificate in Continuing Professional Development in Project Management and obtain both!
- Be at least 21 years of age by the date of commencement of the programme;
- Hold a Leaving Certificate or QQI Level 5 qualification (or equivalent qualification);
- Have a minimum of 1 year’s professional experience in a business environment or currently work on a project team or hold a project administrator / junior project manager role.
All applicants whose first language is not English must have attained IELTS Level 6 or the equivalent TOEFL score.
Fees and Costs
€1500. Partial funding towards the cost of fees is available from Irish Medtech Skillnet for eligible students. For details on how to apply for funding towards the cost of fees please contact: email@example.com
For further information on fees please click here.
How To Apply
The course will open for applications for the next intake shortly. In the meantime, please register your interest in the course with Riona Doolan by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants need to be aware of the IT student checklist below before applying:
- You will need access to a laptop or desktop computer running a modern supported operating system with all software updates.
- Some of UCC’s services (e.g. the Canvas Virtual Learning Environment) link to an external site and also have mobile apps for iOS and Android Devices that you may wish to use as part of your studies. However, we recommend using your desktop web browser for submission of assessments.
- You should always use the most current version of your preferred browser. In general, we recommend the Chrome Web browser (Important Note: Internet Explorer will not work with Canvas).
- We recommend a reliable broadband connection with at least 2Mbps or more.
- You will require an Office suite of software (Microsoft Office or equivalent) and a PDF reader. You should always use the latest version of this software. All UCC students will have access to Office 365 which includes software such as Word/Excel/PowerPoint etc. once registered.
To Apply for this course please follow the steps below:
When you log into the Application Portal:
Click Apply Online
Select Start a new Adult & Continuing Education Application
During your online application you will be required to upload the following documents:
- Birth Cert or Passport
- Passport Photo
- Curriculum Vitae
- English Language Test Report [if applicable]