Sustainability & Modern Society Seminar Series
'Sustainability & Modern Society' Seminar Series 2012
This public trans-disciplinary Seminar Series ran in collaboration with the Centre for Adult Continuing Education mostly on Tuesdays during October and November 2012 in Room 122, UCC Brookfield Health Sciences Complex, College Road, Cork (7-9pm).
The series represented an experimental and perhaps unique coming together of academics from a diverse range of disciplines across the university and beyond to discuss and deliberate in an open, discoursive, exploratory and reflective way on the issues concerning (un)sustainability and modern society.
In all, the series incorporated 20 presentations from 17 presenters, typically in pairs, spanning right across the disciplines.
Given that the series was about seeking discussion and exploring relevant questions, audience participation represented a key component of the series, culminating in a final round table session which incorporated public/attendee (both formal and informal) reflections, as well as gathering together presenters from throughout the series (plus some others) who sought to look forward..
Presentations from throughout the series can be found below. All welcome. Free admission.
SEMINAR SERIES PROGRAMME
E. Byrne, G. Mullally (2 October)
D. Chapman, J. Fitzpatrick (9 October)
G. Parkes, C. Fitzgerald (16 October)
G. Mullally, E. Byrne, D. Gabuzda (23 October)
W. Brady, B. Sage-Fuller (30 October)
J. Barry, S. O’Tuama (N.B.: Monday, 5 November)
J. Fitzpatrick, D. Chapman (13 November)
Series attendee reflections, plus a look forward.. (see for details)
Presentation Material below:
Sustainability & Modern Society Leaflet 2012 (click here).
8. Bringing it all together; A transdisciplinary endeavor
Outline of final session structure; attendee participation and looking forward..
8. Sustainability and Modern Society; placing modernity in context
6. Economics & Politics (sustainability and political economy)
John Barry (Queen's University Belfast)
8. Sustainability & Modern Society; Thoughts about the place of food
6. Economics & Politics (political sustainability?)
2. An Unsustainable Societal Construct (fresh water resources)
1. Are Modern Society & Sustainability Compatible?
Ed Byrne & Ger Mullally
5. Planning and Law around Sustainable Development (operationalising sustainable development)
Seminar Series Contributors' Short Biogs
(Short biographies leaflet)
2. An Unsustainable Societal Construct (energy and climate change)
8. Sustainability and Modern Society; A reflection
Stephan Maier (TU Graz)
4. Science, Complexity & Spirituality
Ger Mullally, Ed Byrne & Denise Gabuzda
8. Sustainability and the Built Environment
Simon Conolly & Caroline Akiboye (AkiboyeConollyArch.com)
7. Moving to a Sustainable Societal Construct
5. Planning and Law around Sustainable Development (sustainability, precaution and prudence)
3. Philosophy & Art (Somatic Practices in East-Asian Philosophies)
8. Sustainability & Modern Society; some thoughts looking forward..
7. Moving to a Sustainable Societal Construct: Freshwater for the future