Prescriptive Authority for Ionising Radiation NU6169
Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
É1,100 See Fees and Costs for full details.
The Continuing Professional Development modules in Nursing and Midwifery are open to registered health care professionals in Nursing, Midwifery, Medicine, and Clinical Therapies or other allied disciplines. Some modules are open to registered nurses/midwives only. See Requirements for full details.
24th July 2020 Sem 1 : 30th October 2020 Sem 2
Semester 1 and 2 2020/21
The indicative content of this module will include:
Professional accountability and responsibility and the associated legal and ethical aspects encompassing the Professional responsibilities of the nurse prescriber when requesting an x-ray for adults/children; the roles and responsibilities of each of the groups involved in the use of ionising radiation; and legislation, guidelines, codes of practice and local rules.
Ionising radiation and protection; the nature of radiation and its biological effects; the relative dangers of radiation; the three principles of justification, optimisation and diagnostic reference levels.
Principles of the prescribing process for ionising radiation (X- Ray); the current guidelines on making the best use of the department of clinical radiology and prescribing guidelines; scope of practice; working in a multi-disciplinary team to prescribe x-rays; common referral pathways; and justification of x-rays.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
There is a clinical element to this module.
To enable students to safely and appropriately prescribe ionizing radiation (x-ray) within his/her scope of practice.
The Continuing Professional Development modules in Nursing and Midwifery are open to registered health care professionals in Nursing, Midwifery, Medicine, and Clinical Therapies or other allied disciplines. Some modules are open to registered nurses/midwives only (indicated below beside individual modules).
Applicants who are practising health care professionals must provide evidence of current registration with the relevant professional regulatory body (e.g. the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (active registration), the Irish Medical Council, the Health & Social Care Professions Council (or equivalent regulatory body for pharmacists, occupational therapist, podiatrists, speech and language therapists etc.)) Applicants from allied disciplines must provide evidence of professional certification, where appropriate.
Applicants who are under 23 years of age must satisfy the minimum entry requirements as for the Degrees in Nursing or Midwifery, as set out here
Admission to the module(s) will be subject to internal university approval processes on the recommendation of the Head of School.
Applicants for NU6I69 must in addition satisfy the following:
- Have completed a module in patient physical assessment
- Have a minimum of 1 year’s recent post registration clinical experience in nursing within the last 3 years
- Provide evidence from an employer by way of a completed site declaration form, signed by the Director of Nursing / Authorised Nurse Manager, the nominated Clinical Supervisor (Medical Practitioner) and the Head of Radiology (Consultant Radiologist). This must contain confirmation of a designated Medical Practitioner who will act as a Clinical Supervisor providing supervision, support and learning opportunities, including opportunities to practice under supervision to gain the required competencies and clinical competence in prescriptive authority for ionising radiation.
Fees and Costs
The fee for this module is É1,100
How Do I Apply
To apply for this module please complete the application form below:
- Download and complete the application form at the link below.
- Gather any additional documents required (including a passport-style photo).
- Pay your €35 application fee for this module via UCC’s Online Portal, noting your Application ID: Click here to proceed to UCC’s Online Portal.
- Send your completed application form, photo and any relevant documents, including your application ID via e-mail to email@example.com
CPD Co-Ordinator, CPD Centre,
An tIonad um Fhorbairt Ghairmiúil Leanúnaigh,
Q+1 floor, The Boole Library, Main Quad, U.C.C.