Foundations of Cancer Care CPD NU6145
29th August 2022 - 10th October 2022
Distance Learning, Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
€900 See Fees and Costs for full details.
See Requirements for full details.
30th June 2022
Course Delivery Method
Brookfield Health Sciences Complex, exact rooms and dates to be confirmed.
Module Objective: To facilitate an in-depth appreciation of the epidemiology, risk factors, development and detection of cancer, cancer treatments and inherent symptoms, from a professional nursing perspective.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Examine the risk factors involved in developing a cancer diagnosis
- Critically discuss the incidence of cancer trends nationally and internationally
- Identify and critically review cancer proliferative growth patterns and spread of disease
- Critically explore the role of the nurse in identifying cancer symptoms and the effects of cancer and its treatment on the individual.
- Identify and critically review the key principles of pain management in the oncology setting
- Analyse the key principles of management of cancer related fatigue, nutritional deficits, nausea and vomiting and GIT in the cancer population
- Explore the concept of survivorship in cancer.
Module Content: Cancer care trajectory, Pathophysiology of cancer, cancer diagnosis and metastatic spread, epidemiology, screening and risk factors of cancer, risk behaviour and theory, cancer genetics. Overview of cancer treatments. Symptom management: pain, fatigue, nausea & vomiting, GIT and nutritional issues. Survivorship in cancer.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
16 hrs Lectures/Workshop; 184 hrs Distance Learning; Discussion Board Preparation and Participation, Required Reading, Assignment Preparation and Submission, Self-Directed Learning.
Orientation Semester 1 25 August 2022
Duration : Runs from 29th August 2022 - 10th October 2022
Class dates for 2022/23:
25th August 2022 09.00-16.00
29th August 2022 09.00-14.00
14th September 09.00-14.00
27th September 09.00-14.00
10th October 2022
Assignment Submission Date
Assessment: Total Marks 200: Continuous Assessment 200 marks (Oral Presentation on an aspect of cancer/cancer treatment, 180 marks; E activities, 20 marks).
Compulsory Elements: Continuous Assessment.
Skills and Careers Information
NU6145 linked to PG Oncology programmes.
Open to registered health care professionals in Nursing, Midwifery, Medicine, and Clinical Therapies or other allied disciplines.
Applicants who are practising health care professionals must provide evidence of current registration with the relevant professional regulatory body (e.g. the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (active registration), the Irish Medical Council, the Health & Social Care Professions Council (or equivalent regulatory body for pharmacists, occupational therapist, podiatrists, speech and language therapists etc.)) Applicants from allied disciplines must provide evidence of professional certification, where appropriate.
Applicants who are under 23 years of age must satisfy the minimum entry requirements as for the Degrees in Nursing or Midwifery, as set out here
Admission to the module(s) will be subject to internal university approval processes on the recommendation of the Head of School.
Applicants for Nursing and Midwifery CPD modules who do not hold an up-to-date IELTS certificate showing the requisite Academic Board approved CM&H scores must demonstrate evidence of appropriate work experience within an English language environment for at least the previous 2 years.
These modules will not necessarily run unless minimum recruitment targets of 10 students are achieved.
Fees and Costs
The fee for this module is €900. There is also a €35 application fee.
How Do I Apply
Applications for this module are now open.
- To apply for this module please log on to the UCC APPLY page and create an account.
- Gather any additional documents required (including a passport-style photo), copy of your degree parchment if not a previous UCC graduate.
- An application fee of €35 will be payable on submission of your application via the same platform.