Aging and Older People: Bio Psychosocial Perspectives
Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
€900 See Fees and Costs for full details.
See Requirements for full details.
17th of June 2019
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Brookfield Health Sciences Complex, Cork.
See Additional Teaching Mode Information for dates
Aims: The module aims to develop a critical understanding of physiological ageing from a holistic perspective and to critically analyse gerontological nursing practice at an advanced level.
On successful completion of this module students will be able to:
- Summarise the normal physical and physiological processes associated with the ageing person and the presentation of disease and related conditions in later life.
- Critically evaluate the impact of biological changes and other related determinants of health on older adults.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of holistic person centred assessment of older people's healthcare needs, incorporating biography and narrative.
- Demonstrate knowledge of pharmacological issues associated with older people.
- Critically analyse gerontological nursing practice at an adanced level including the nursing management of specified age related physiological conditions
- Explore communication issues including the role of the gerontoloigcal nurse in promoting social engagement and cultural connectivity among older people
- Identify and critically review factors affecting physiological health and wellbeing of older people and the promotion of positive ageing.
Core areas addressed are: Biology of ageing, altered disease presentation, holistic assessment methods, age related physiological changes and gerontological nursing practice at an advanced level including the management of conditions affecting the cardiac, respiratory, musculoskeletal, gastro-intestinal, endocrine, genito-urinary, integumentary systems, special senses, the principles of wound care assessment and management, communication deficits, pharmacological issues and polypharmacy in ageing, safety issues, fall prevention strategies, sleep disorders, pain management, immunological issues for older people.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
Orientation Friday 30th August 2019 09.00-18.00
Class dates for 2019-20:
Turs 17th Oct 2019 09.00-14.00
Thurs 24th Oct 2019 09.00-18.00
|Tues 12th Nov 2019 09.00-16.00||TBC|
Open to registered health care professionals in Nursing, Midwifery, Medicine, and Clinical Therapies or other allied disciplines.
Applicants who are practising health care professionals must provide evidence of current registration with the relevant professional regulatory body (e.g. the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (active registration), the Irish Medical Council, the Health & Social Care Professions Council (or equivalent regulatory body for pharmacists, occupational therapist, podiatrists, speech and language therapists etc.)) Applicants from allied disciplines must provide evidence of professional certification, where appropriate.
Applicants who are under 23 years of age must satisfy the minimum entry requirements as for the Degrees in Nursing or Midwifery, as set out here
Admission to the module(s) will be subject to internal university approval processes on the recommendation of the Head of School.
Applicants for Nursing and Midwifery CPD modules who do not hold an up-to-date IELTS certificate showing the requisite Academic Board approved CM&H scores must demonstrate evidence of appropriate work experience within an English language environment for at least the previous 2 years.
These modules will not necessarily run unless minimum recruitment targets of 10 students are achieved.
Fees and Costs
The fee for this module is €900. There is also a €35 application fee.
How Do I Apply
To apply for this module please download and complete the application form below and submit with the relevant documents to:
Graduate Studies Office, West Wing, Main Quad, University College Cork
OR via email at email@example.com
Forward this form along with the:
- Application fee,
- A passport sized photograph and
- Any other documentation requested on the form.