2014 Press Releases
Boole Library Opening Times
University College Cork regrets that it is unable to extend further the opening hours of the Boole Library due to lack of resources.
The Library adjusted its opening hours with the introduction of semesterisation based on statistics on usage/demand in pre-exams periods and exam periods. The pattern of use in peak times demanded early opening, more Sunday Opening and extended Saturday opening.
Since last September the Boole Library has increased its opening hours by 100 hours per week in an effort to facilitate the students. At present the opening hours are from 08.00 to 21.15 and the Quadrangle reading room is open from 21.30 - 1.45.
Recent improvement in the opening hours include:
- Increased opening hours by 100 hours in Semester 1
- Earlier opening times on weekdays at 8.00a.m.
- The Library is open on Saturdays until 17.45 in both semesters - followed by the Quadrangle Reading Room to 22.45
- Opened Library on Sundays in Semester 1 - followed by the Quadrangle Reading Room to 22.45
- Increased the number of Sundays that the Library is open in both semesters
- Increased capacity of the Quad Reading room by 10% [by adding extra seating and tables]
The Library management met with the Students' Union and the Head of Student Experience on Monday 8th December to try and find a solution but due to resource contraints a solution was not found. However, the Library is keen to work with the Students’ Union on their proposal regarding opening hours and looks forward to solving the problem. The Library recognises that the optimum space for students to study in is the Library and Library management will continue to seek additional resources to extend opening hours. Additional study space has been made available through the opening of a range of other rooms and lecture theatres.