Terms of Reference
Roles and Responsibilities of Members:
SOMS-GSC strives to enhance the academic experience for graduate students by the
following roles and responsibilities:
- Oversee the progression of PhD and MSc Research students via regular progress reports.
- Familiarise with the elements of the University’s, SEFS and SOMS strategic plan relevant
to graduate education.
- Work with School and SEFS with the implementation of the University’s strategic plan
with respect to graduate studies as appropriate to SOMS.
- Implement policies and procedures to support and enhance graduate education.
- Advise on the enhancement of the working infrastructure and environment for graduate
- Provide support to SOMS through programmes/initiatives designed to assist in the
recruitment of graduate students and foster graduate student success.
- Support and assist publicising and promotion of graduate education.
- Assist Course Coordinator with retention of graduate students.
- Production of an annual report to the Executive Management Committee.
- All meetings will be chaired by Chair or where the Chair is absent one of the Vice-Chairs
of the Committee may act in the capacity as Chair.
- Quorum for the Committee requires 3 staff members of the Committee to be in
- Agenda, minutes and supporting papers will be circulated by the School Office.
- Meetings will run during term time with a minimum of 6 meetings during an academic
- Other members of the School may be invited at the discretion of the Chair of the
Terms of References: