Teaching of Italian as a Second Language I IT6104
Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
€600 See Fees and Costs for full details.
Applicants should normally have an undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification. Pre-requisite(s): Italian Language Competence, Level B2-C1. See Requirements for full details.
Applications will close for this module on 31st of July 2020.
Department of Italian, Room 1.24, O'Rahilly Building, University College Cork.
16th September, 2020 (To Be Confirmed)
Professional qualification in the teaching of Italian as a second language. UCC is the only centre in Ireland offering this preparatory course to achieve the DITALS 1 certification. This course will consider current Italian pedagogical approaches to the teaching of Italian as a second language to various categories of learners, (children to adults).
This is a course which covers theories as well as techniques and practice for the teaching of Italian as a second language.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Make appropriate use, orally and in writing, of a wide range of vocabulary relating to the theory and practice of teaching Italian as a foreign language.
- Identify and define aims and objectives for a range of Italian language courses.
- Devise and execute sample lesson plans in a real classroom situation.
- Use a range of classroom management skills and techniques in a language lesson.
- Use the latest technological tools in a language class.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
It is estimated that the course will be one day per week, 2 hrs per session for 12 weeks.
A general meeting of all applicants will take place prior to commencement in the O’Rahilly Building, UCC, room TBC to discuss and agree the timetable according to candidates’ availability.
Module may also be offered in Semester Twoo - 2020/21.
As part of UCC's commitment to Continuing Professional Development, candidates who satisfy the programme eligibility criteria may, subject to the approval of the Programme Coordinator, be eligible to register for examinations in the internationally recognised DITALS certification.
Teaching Method(s): 12 x 2hr(s) Lectures; 60 Other (30 observation hours; 30 teaching hours); Other (mock exam practice).
Assessment: Total Marks 200: Continuous Assessment 200 marks (Project [2,500 - 3,000 words] 75 marks; 3 Written Assignments [1,000 words each] 25 marks each; Oral Assessment 50 marks).
To be considered, applicants should normally have an undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification.
All candidates upon registration will be required to either provide a corresponding Police Statement from their country of origin or complete the Garda Vetting Process in Ireland. For Italian candidates it is necessary to request a "certificato penale" from the Carabinieri (Garda Vetting Certificate). Full details will be provided at offer stage.
Proof of Italian Language Competence (Level B2-C1) is required for IT6104.
For the candidates from other nationalities include a reference (attestato) regarding your level of Italian.
If you are applying with Qualifications obtained outside Ireland and you wish to verify if you meet the minimum academic and English language requirements for this programme please view the grades comparison table by country and for details of recognised English language tests.
Fees and Costs
The fee is €600 and the application fee is €35
How Do I Apply
To apply for this module please download and complete the application form below:
Application Form CPD Module IT6104 for the Academic Year 2020/21
- Download and complete the application form at the link below.
- Gather any additional documents required (including a passport-style photo).
- Pay your €35 application fee for this module via UCC’s Online Portal, noting your Application ID: Click here to proceed to UCC’s Online Portal.
- Send your completed application form, photo and any relevant documents, including your application ID via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
CPD Co-Ordinator, CPD Centre,
An tIonad um Fhorbairt Ghairmiúil Leanúnaigh,
Q+1 floor, The Boole Library, Main Quad, U.C.C.
Applications for this module are now open.