About This Course
Nursing - Medical and Surgical Nursing
6 months Part-time
Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
EU Fees 2020
See Fees and Costs for full details.
See Requirements for full details.
4 August 2020
21 September 2020
The course aims to equip registered nurses with current evidence based knowledge and skills for application to medical and/or surgical patiently care contexts. The course aims to challenge nurses to think critically and creatively about patient care and the clinical contribution that nursing can make to positive patient outcomes.
The programme aims to:
- enhance nursing practice through the application of well-assimilated knowledge and clinical skills
- act as a means of professional support, educator and role model for the provision of life long learning to ensure ongoing professional development
- exercise accountability within the clinical and professional boundaries of the role of nursing
- contribute as a learned member of the multidisciplinary team in the delivery of quality healthcare for individuals and families across a variety of contexts.
- Critically examine contemporary social, cultural and policy contexts of medical-surgical nursing.
PATHWAY 3: MEDICAL SURGICAL NURSING
- NU6005 Research Methods (10 credits) (Shared module across all pathways)
- NU6053 Ethics for Specialist Practice (5 credits) (Shared module across all pathways except 9)
- NU6125 Professional Practice Issues for Nurses and Midwives (10 credits)
Clinical Practice/Practicum module:
- NU6130 Clinical Practice in Specialist Nursing 1 (5 credits)
Candidates who successfully complete all modules to the value of 30 credits in the PG Certificate in Nursing programme may apply to transfer into the relevant pathway of the MSc in Nursing programme with the option of exiting with a Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing (Medical-Surgical) award at the end of an additional 12 months.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
This programme will be delivered in a blended format (combination of classroom-based and online modules).
Further details on the modules listed above can be found in our book of modules. Any modules listed above are indicative of the current set of modules for this course but are subject to change from year to year.
You can find the full academic content for the current year of any given course in our University Calendar.
All postgraduate programmes contain some element of blended learning. This means that modules are delivered on campus with face-to-face contact with lectures (teaching and learning strategies include lectures, workshops, seminars and tutorials) in combination with some online content delivery using our virtual learning environment Canvas (teaching and learning strategies include module study guides, discussion boards, audio/visual resources and online assessments/activities).
Prior to commencing the course each student taking a blended module will be provided with an orientation to Canvas and training on how to use the online technology within the course. IT support will be given to students throughout the duration of the course.
Why Choose This Course
For nurses who wish to study over a “short” period of time e.g. just one semester (September-December), they can register for the PG Certificate in Medical-Surgical Nursing programme. Previous students who successfully completed the PG Certificate programme took a year’s break from studying and then returned the following academic year to join the next cohort of students in semester two in order to complete the PG Diploma in Nursing – Medical-Surgical pathway. Students who successfully complete the Postgraduate Diploma now have the choice to proceed directly into the Master’s programme.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Nursing is a part-time programme running for 6 months from the date of first registration for the programme. Applicants choose their pathway at the application stage and all of the pathways are viewable in the College Calendar.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS PATHWAY 3: MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING
Applicants for the Postgraduate Certificate in Nursing should normally:
- Hold active registration on a division of the professional register maintained by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland or be eligible for such registration as required for individual pathways. For the Medical-Surgical Nursing Pathway, applicants must be Registered General Nurses AND
- Have clinical practice experience (and support structures, if applicable) as required for individual pathways. For the Medical-Surgical Nursing Pathway applicants must have a minimum of six months' post-registration experience (excluding courses) and at least three months experience in the speciality pathway applied for.
English Language Requirements
Applicants that are non-native speakers of the English language must meet the university approved English language requirements available here.
For applicants with qualifications completed outside of Ireland
Applicants must meet the required entry academic grade, equivalent to Irish requirements, please find our grades comparison by country here.
For full details of the non-EU application procedure please visit our how to apply pages for international students. In UCC, we use the term programme and course interchangeably to describe what a person has registered to study in UCC and its constituent colleges, schools, and departments.
Not all courses are open to international/non-EU applicants, please check the fact file above.
For more information please contact the International Office.
Fees and Costs
The EU fee for this course is €3,900.
If your course is offered full time and part time, normally the fee for the part-time course is half the full-time fee per year, please check the fact file for confirmation.
If your course required a deposit, that figure will be deducted from your second semester fee payment in January.
EU student fee payment:
Fees for EU students are payable in two equal instalments. First payment at registration in August and the second in January.
International student fee payment:
Fees for Non-EU Students are payable in one instalment in August.
How can I pay?
By Credit/Debit card online or by credit transfer.
If you have any questions on fee payment please email our Fees Office at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The fee schedule for 2019/2020 is available here.
How Do I Apply
1. Choose Course
Firstly choose your course. Applicants can apply for up to three courses under one application. Details of taught courses are available on our online prospectus.
2. Apply Online
Once you have chosen your course you can apply online at the Postgraduate Applications Centre (PAC). Applicants will need to apply before the course closing date. There is a €50 application fee for all courses apart from the Education - Professional Master of Education - (Secondary School/Post-Primary Teacher Training) which has a €100 application fee.
3. Gather Supporting Documents
Scanned copies of the following documents will need to be uploaded to PAC in support of your application. Applicants may need to produce the original documents if you are accepted onto a course and register at UCC.
- Original qualification documents listed on your application including transcripts of results from institutions other than UCC
- Any supplementary forms requested for your course.
Please log into PAC for more details.
4. Application processing timeline
Our online application system PAC opens for applications for most courses in early November of each year. Check specific course details.
For courses that are in the rounds system (Irish and EU applicants), please check the rounds closing dates here.
Questions on how to apply?
Please use our web enquiry form to contact us.
Deferrals are not permitted on this course.Additional Requirements (All Applicants)
- Please note that you will be asked to fill in the following supplementary questions on PAC as part of the application process for this programme: CKU08 PG Cert Medical Surgical Nursing Supplementary Questions
- All applicants must also submit a signed Declaration Form, to be completed by the Director of Nursing/Midwifery/Equivalent Authorised Manager. This form is downloadable here: Declaration Form PG Cert in Medical Surgical Nursing, CKU08.