UCC Research Awards
University College Cork (UCC) is an internationally recognised, research-led institution, one of Ireland’s oldest institutes of higher education.
The quality and recognition of research success across the University, including outputs from individuals and our Research Institutes and Centres, is measured by key research metrics such as publications, citations, collaborative interactions, patents and spin-out companies.
Held annually, the UCC Research Awards, which are awards for excellence in research and innovation, recognise the extensive contributions made by UCC research and researchers to our University and to wider society. They recognise and celebrate those UCC researchers who have made exceptional and influential research and/or innovation contributions, pushing boundaries, enhancing knowledge and raising the national and international research profile of our institution.
The UCC Research Awards embrace excellence in research, innovation and entrepreneurial activity, across the entire university research community and from all disciplines.
There are fifteen (15) research award and five (5) innovation award categories recognising achievements of researchers and entrepreneurs.
The UCC Research and Innovation Awards Evaluation Committee, chaired by the Vice President for Research and Innovation will evaluate the nominations. Members of the Evaluation Committee include:
- Vice President for Research and Innovation - Professor John Cryan
- Director of Research Strategy & Projects - Dr Siobhán Cusack
- Director of Research Support & Policy - Dr David O'Connell
- Director of Innovation - Dr Sally Cudmore
- Vice-Dean of Research and Innovation, College of Science, Engineering and Food Science - Dr Ger McGlacken
- Vice-Dean of Research and Innovation, College of Business and Law - Professor Anthony McDonnell
- Vice-Dean of Research and Innovation, College of Medicine and Health - Professor Ger O’Keeffe
- Vice-Dean of Research and Innovation, College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences - Dr Helena Buffery
- Chief Scientific Officer, Tyndall National Institute - Dr Michael Nolan
In addition to the awards committee, guest judges will evaluate a number of award categories:
- Best Publication of the Year [Undergraduate Author] - Professor Paul McSweeney
- Creating a Culture for Responsible Conduct of Research - Professor Ken O'Halloran
- Engaged Research of the Year - Dr. Martin Galvin
- Research Award for Open Research - Ms. Coral Black
- Research Communicator of the Year - Mr. Eoin Hahessy
- The President’s Award for Research Impacting the Sustainable Development Goals - Professor John O'Halloran
The UCC Research Awards ceremony will take place in Devere Hall on Thursday 01 June 2023 at 6pm, by invitation.