Why Study German?
Why study German? Helpful links
The following are links to more information on why languages, and German in particular, are of benefit.
- GermanConnects;) an initiative by the German Embassy and the Goethe-Institut Irland, developed in close association with the Austrian and Swiss embassies in Dublin, key Irish educational institutions and business organizations
- Interviews with Irish people working in Germany (GermanConnects; YouTube channel)
- Irish Times Article March 2016 http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/efforts-to-build-world-economy-limited-by-lack-of-languages-1.2562407
- 2014 Report on Future Skills Needs
- Why study languages?
- THINK GERMAN An initiative by the German Embassy London, UK-German Connection, Goethe-Institut London and DAAD
- Irish Times Article April 2010 Language Gap is latest Threat to Jobs
- Irish Times Article August 2010 Ireland Shakes off 'Wild West' Reputation in Germany
- Multilinguals have a competitive Edge - ECML Press release - New study uncovers groundbreaking data
- Lost in Translation The importance of language skills for Irish exports. From an Enterprise Ireland publication 'The Market' 2010/11 (go to p.12)
- The cognitive benefits of being bilingual, by Viorica Marian, Anthony Shook (Dana Foundation 2012)
- Multilinguals have the competitive edge
- The e-zine Higher Education World from the QS Press Office published the following report on responses to a survey regarding the value given by employers to international student experience. This arose from the QS Global Employer Survey Report 2011. Employers value Int'l or full report.
- BBC Discussion on learning foreign languages