Qualifications: MB MSc MD, FCARCSI
- Consultant Anaesthesiologist at BreastCheck and Cork University Hospital
- Clinical Senior Lecturer, Dept of Anaesthesia, School of Medicine, UCC
- Clinical Principal Investigator ASSERT Centre, UCC
- Clinical Principal Investigator for Bioimpedance; Clisteprobe project at Tyndall National Institute
- Joint Clinical Lead for Trauma Anaesthesia and Preassessment at CUH
- Director Cork Academy of Regional Anaesthesia
- Founding member and former Hon Secretary of Irish Society of Regional Anaesthesia
- Member of European Society of Regional Anaesthesia (ESRA) Education Subcommittee
- Director Cork Cadaveric Regional Anaesthesia Course
- Director Symposium on Perioperative Medicine, Exercise Physiology and Sports Nutrition
Hospital: Cork University Hospital
- Regional Anaesthesia;
- Education and Procedural Skills Training
- Quality improvements projects in regional anaesthesia and acute pain services
- Regional Anaesthesia Fellowship Mentor
- Author of National Curriculum for Regional Anaesthesia Training
- Co-founder of ISRA Foundation Course
- ESRA train the trainers faculty member
- UCC School of Medicine:
- Contributions to: PT3201; CP4004; MX 4090; MX 5090; CKX20; MX5090
- RASimAs: Collaborator and Work Package Designer/Clinical Lead RASimAS FP7 STREP Call: FP7-ICT 2013-10; Grant Agreement Number: 610425 €3,322,000
- SMART Needle Regional Anaesthesia: ASSERT Centre, UCC and Tyndall National Institute: Collaborator NAP 327 2010 (€28,250); PI NAP 396 2011 (€30,578); Collaborator SFI TIDA 2012 10/RFP/CAP2854 (€78,069); Irish Research Council funded PhD student
- SMART Needle Breast Cancer: ASSERT Centre, UCC and Tyndall National Institute: Collaborator SFI TIDA 2012 10/RFP/CAP2854 (€78,069); Molecular medicine Ireland funded PhD student; Irish Research Council funded PhD student
- Proficiency Based Progression Training
- Axillary Brachial Plexus Block
- Femoral Nerve Block
- Popliteal Fossa Sciatic Block
- Owen O’Sullivan MB, BCh, BAO, B(Med)Sc FCARCSI. January 2014: A Comprehensive Description of the Competencies Required for the Performance of an Ultrasound-guided Axillary Brachial Plexus Blockade.
- Niall Savage BSc MSc. December 2015: Development of a novel probe integrated with a micro-structured impedance sensor for the detection ofbreast cancer.
- Lisa Helen BSc, MSc: Development of a ‘smart’ needle integrated with an impedance sensor to determine nerve proximity for nerve blocking (anaesthetic) procedures. Year 3 Tyndall National Institute, UCC.
- Justina Ugwah 2018 to date Development of a novel probe integrated with a micro-structured impedance sensor for the detection of breast cancer.
MD awarded student:
- Osman Ahmed FCARCSI: Procedure characterisation and metrics validation in ultrasound guided axillary brachial plexus block.
- Szilard Szúcs MD: The role of femoral nerve block in perioperative analgesia for fracture neck of femur.
Postgraduate Research Supervision:
- Aurelia Fleck FCAI: Procedure characterisation and metrics validation in ultrasound guided femoral nerve block; Milestones of recovery and pain outcomes following major breast cancer surgery.
- Curtis McMillan MD: The role of ultrasound guided adductor canal block in analgesia following knee arthroplasty surgery.
- Michael O’Sullivan MB BCh BAO, FCARCSI: A pilot study of eye tracking applied to cognitive task analysis of ultrasound guided peripheral nerve blockade.