About This Course
An Introduction to Ireland’s Marine Heritage & Wildlife
Block delivery – one weekend.
Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
NFQ Award Title
5 ECTS Credits Awarded (Optional)
€70 See Fees and Costs for full details.
See Requirements for full details.
5 ECTS Credits (Optional)
Discover what lies beneath the Wild Atlantic Way
This course is an introduction to Ireland's rich marine heritage and sea life. The Wild Atlantic Way is fast becoming one of the world’s most iconic tourist attractions, yet have you thought about what lies beneath the waves? Learn about some of the whales and dolphins that make Ireland one of the top viewing places for these amazing creatures! Discover coastal biodiversity and conduct a citizen science survey of a local shoreline. Learn about our ancestors inherent connection with the coast and why we still are drawn to it. Explore marine eco-tourism opportunities and coastal conservation initiatives. This is a great course for anyone interested in learning more about Irelands Ocean, marine life and our connection with it.
Key aspects of Ireland’s marine heritage; human interaction with the ocean; marine ecosystems; marine wildlife; survey methods and marine mammal identification; marine pollution and conservation; and marine eco-tourism.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
This course is taught over one weekend. Dates for 2020 to be confirmed.
Qualifications 5 ECTS Credits Awarded.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of Irish marine heritage and wildlife;
- Identify Irish marine mammals;
- Undertake a citizen science shoreline survey;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of marine conservation;
- Demonstrate an understanding of Ireland’s marine eco-tourism potential.
Continuous Assessment 100 marks (1 x 1,500 word fieldwork report). Completion of this assessment is optional.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by 1 January of the year of application.
- While there are no formal educational requirements, it is expected that proposed candidates will have attained Leaving Certificate/FETAC Level 5 or an equivalent qualification.
Fees and Costs
€70. Accomodation costs are not included.
How Do I Apply
Please contact Belinda Gascoigne for further information. Phone: 087 3751062 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org