UCC Innovation is responsible for ensuring that UCC's expertise and ideas get to the commercial arena. We provide services to bring UCC research and commercial expertise together to benefit society, impact on the economy and provide a return to the university to further advance its research mission.
UCC Innovation was launched in 2019, building on the Office of Technology Transfer which was established in 2007 and previously the Industrial Liaison Office which operated in UCC for almost 25 years.
To accomplish that goal, our office
- manages the university's extensive intellectual property portfolio, evaluating the commercial potential of each invention
- works with UCC researchers on the invention disclosure and technology transfer process
- protects inventions by filing patent applications
- markets and licenses commercially viable technologies to the business community
- provides access to our world class expertise through the managed consultancy service UCC Consulting
- Works with entrepreneurs to launch start-up companies based on UCC technologies with the support of our Commercialisation Managers and our Sprint Accelerator Programme
- facilitates confidential disclosure and material transfer agreements (CDA/MTA)
- incubates newly founded companies at our GatewayUCC facility
- helps recent graduates to develop their business ideas to active start-up companies through the Ignite Programme
Our staff are accredited Technology Transfer Professionals with a combination of technical and commercial skills. They will work with both the academic and industry community to manage the commercialisation process.
UCC Innovation is part of the Vice-President for Research and Innovation's Office