The Seán Ó Riada Memorial Prize
At a glance
- Value: €400
- You must be a current UCC Student to be eligible for this prize
- Questions about this prize can be directed to email@example.com
The colleagues of the late Seán Ó Riada, who had been a member of the staff of the Department of Music in University College Cork, from 1963 to 1971, subscribed to a fund of €508 for the provision of an Annual prize to be known as "The Seán Ó Riada Memorial Prize".
Eligibility to apply
The Seán Ó Riada Memorial Prize (currently valued at c. €400) will be awarded to the candidate in the BMus (Hons) Degree Examination who has, in the judgement of the examiners, displayed the deepest understanding of the nature of Irish Traditional Music either at an academic or performance level, or both, provided:
1. The Academic Council considers that a sufficiently high standard has been attained;
2. The successful candidate has been a student in University College Cork, for the four years immediately preceding the BMus (Hons) Degree Examination concerned;
3. He/she had not passed the First University Examination in Music more than three years before presenting for the BMus (Hons) Degree Examination concerned; and
4. He/she has presented for the BMus (Hons) Degree Examination for the first time and is adjudged to have passed therein.
*Note: These awards are funded from endowments made by the respective donors to the University for awards to be made in perpetuity. The funds donated are invested, and the annual income is the amount available for the award. Due to fluctuation in the investment market, the amounts available from year to year may vary, upwards and downwards; for this reason, the value of any award referred to in this section is indicative only, and may be higher or lower when the amount of the award is completed.