Professor David Cabot
Professor Cabot was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA and educated at Dartington Hall School, Devon, England. He attended University College, Oxford (1957-58) and completed his BA and MA at Trinity College, Dublin (1959-63). Following this, he completed his PhD at University College, Galway (1963-67).
- 2005-current: Writer, lecturer and ornithological researcher
- 1995-2004: Consultant to Ministries of Environment, Eastern Europe
- 1990-1994: Special advisor on environmental affairs to two Taoisigh
- 1988-1990: Ecological Consultant, Documentary Film Producer and Radio/TV Presenter (RTE/BBC)
- 1969-1988: Ecologist preparing the National Heritage Inventory and Environmental Impact Assessments at the National Institute for Physical Planning and Construction Research, Dublin
Population dynamics of Barnacle Geese, Cormorants, and Fulmars.
- Tucker MA, Alexandrou O, Bierregaard RO Jr., et al. Large bird travel farther in homogeneous environments. Global Ecol. Biogeogr. 2019;00:1-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/geb.12875.
- Cabot, D. & Goodwillie, R. (in press 2018) The Burren: a natural history. HarperCollins, London. New Naturalist Series. Volume 139. pp. 1 – 485
- Wang, K., Cao, L., Fox, T., Fuller, R., Griffin, L., Cabot, D., Mitchell, K., Zhao, Y., Moon, O.K., Zhenggang, X. & Chen, L. (in press 2018). The green wave hypothesis partially explains migration of avian herbivores.
- Cordes, L.S., Hedworth, H., Cabot, D., M. and Thompson, P.M. (2015) Parallel declines in survival of adult Northern Fulmars Fulmaris glacialis at colonies in Scotland and Ireland. Ibis 157: 631-636.
- Murray, T and Cabot, D. (2015) The Breeding Status of the Great Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo in County Wexford. Irish Naturalists’ Journal, 34 (2): 89-94.
- Kölzsch, A; Bauer, S; de Boer, R; Griffin, L; Cabot, D.; Exo, K-M; van der Jeugd, H. P; and Nolet, B. A. (2015) Forecasting spring from afar? Timing of migration and predictability of phenology along different migration routes of an avian herbivore. Journal of Animal Ecology, 84: 272-283.
- Boer, R.de., Silke, B., van der Jeugd, H.P., Ens, B.J., Griffin, L., Cabot, D., Exo, K.M., Nolet, B.A. & Kölzsch, A. (2014). Een vergelijking van de voorjaarstrek van drie populaties Brandganzen met behulp van GPS-satellietzenders. Limosa 87 (2014): 99-106
- Shariatinajafabadi, M., Wang, T., Skidmore, A.K., Toxopeus, A.G., lzsch, A.K., Nolet, B.A., Exo, K.M., Griffin, L., Stahl, J & Cabot, D. (2014). Migratory Herbivorous Waterfowl Track Satellite-Derived Green Wave Index PLOS ONE | www.plosone.org 1 September 2014 | Volume 9 | Issue 9 | e108331
- Safi, K., Kranstauber, B., Weinzierl, R., Griffin, L., Rees, E.C., Cabot, D., Cruz, S., Proaño, C., Takekawa, J.Y., Newman, S.H., Waldenström, J., Bengtsson, D., Kays, R., Wikelski, M. & Bohrer, G. (2013). Flying with the wind: scale dependency of speed and direction measurements in modelling wind support in avian flight. Movement Ecology 2013, 1:4
- Cabot, D and Nesbit, I. Terns. HarperCollins, London. pp. 1- 461.
- Cabot, D. Wildfowl. HarperCollins, London. pp. 1-460.
- Cabot, D. Ireland: A Natural History. Collins, London. pp 1-512.
- Ogilvie, M.A., Boertmann, , Cabot, D., Merne, O., Percival, S and Sigusson, A. Barnacle goose Branta leucopsis: Greenland. In: Madsen, J., Cracknell, G., & Fox, A.D. (eds). Goose Populations in the Western Palearctic. A Review of Status and Distribution. Wetlands International Publication No. 48, Wageningen, The Netherlands. National Environmental Research Institute, Ronde, Denmark. pp 246 – 256.
- Cabot, D. (1996) Performance of the Roseate tern Population Breeding in North-West Europe – Ireland, Britain and France – 1960-94. Proceedings Royal Irish Academy: 96B: 55-68
- Cabot, D., and West, B. (1961) Studies on the Population of Barnacle Geese Branta leucopsis Wintering on the Inishkea Islands, Co. Mayo. 1: Population dynamics 1983: 318-336.
- Cabot, D. (1977) Movements and Migrations of the Mallard in Ireland. Irish Birds 1: 37-45.
- West, B., Cabot, D., and Greer-Walker, M. (1975) The food of the Cormorant, Phalacrocorax carbo, at some breeding colonies in Ireland. Proceedings Royal Irish Academy 75B: 285 – 305.
- Cabot, D. (1975) Feather Lice (Mallophaga) collected from birds in Galway Bay, Co. Galway. Irish Naturalists Journal 18: 145-150.
- Cabot, D. And West, B. (1973) Population Dynamics of Barnacle Geese, Branta leucopsis, in Ireland. Proceedings Royal Irish Academy 73B: 416 – 443.
- Cabot, D. (1969) Helminth Parasites from Charadriiform Birds at Galway Bay, Co. Galway. Proceedings Royal Irish Academy 68B: 149-159.
- Cabot, D. (1965) The Status and Distribution of the Chough Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax (L.) in Ireland 1960-65. Irish Naturalists’ Journal 15: 95-100.
- Cabot, D. Barnacle Geese in Ireland. Wildfowl Trust 14th Annual Report 1961-1962. 104-106.
- University of Aberdeen (Fulmars)
- Queens University Belfast (Barnacle Geese)
- University College Dublin (Barnacle Geese) – on going
- National Parks and Wildlife Service (Barnacle Geese) – on going
- Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (Barnacle Geese – satellite tracking)
- Seeking suitable students to eventually take over the long term monitoring and ringing/recapture programmes for fulmars and cormorants on Little Saltee Island, Co. Wexford.
Barnacle goose being released after being caught by cannon net on the Inishkea Islands, Co. Mayo. Photograph by Christian Glahder (Denmark) March 2015: L to R- David Cabot, Maurice Cassidy and Alyn Walsh