Dr Mark Jessop
Mark completed his BSc. (hons) in Zoology from the University of Melbourne, Australia in 1995. Following this, he worked for the British Antarctic Survey, conducting research on Antarctic fur seals, penguins, and albatrosses. He then moved to Ireland in 2003 to begin PhD studies at University College Cork on the design and monitoring of marine reserves. This was followed by postdoctoral work on nutrient and ecosystem dynamics in Irish marine reserves. Mark joined the MaREI Centre in 2010 to conduct research on the distribution and feeding ecology of seabirds and seals through diet and telemetry studies.
Mark’s research focuses on the distribution of higher predators in the marine environment. He specializes in the application of biotelemetry to investigate behavioural responses of seabirds and seals to human activities including marine renewables, fisheries and oil & gas. Mark is PI on projects including aerial and ship surveys for marine mammals and seabirds in offshore waters, remote monitoring of seabirds in the high arctic, and assessing environmental impacts of marine renewables. Mark is co-PI on seabird census and tracking projects with John Quinn, and supervises 2 PhD and 2 MRes students.
- Bennison, A. & Jessopp, MJ (2015) At sea surveys confirm a North Atlantic biodiversity hotspot. Bird Study 62: 262-266.
- Gilbert AJ, Alexander K, Sardá R, Brazinskaite R, Fischer C, Gee K, Jessopp M, Kershaw P, Los HJ, Morla DM (2015) Marine spatial planning and Good Environmental Status: a perspective on spatial and temporal dimensions. Ecology and Society 20: 64.
- Bodey TW, Jessopp MJ, Votier SC, Gerritsen HD, Cleasby IR, Hamer KC, Patrick SC, Wakefield ED, Bearhop S (2014) Seabird movement reveals the ecological footprint of fishing vessels. Current Biology 24: R514-R515.
- Cronin M, Jessopp M, Houle J, Reid D (2014) Fishery-seal interactions in Irish waters: Current perspectives and future research priorities. Marine Policy 44, 120-130.
- Wakefield ED, Bodey TW, Bearhop S, Blackburn J, Colhoun K, Davies R, Dwyer RG, Green J, Grémillet D, Jackson AL, Jessopp MJ, Kane A, Langston RHW, Lescroël A, Murray S, Le Nuz M, Patrick SC, Péron C, Soanes L, Wanless S, Votier SC, Hamer KC (2013) Space Partitioning Without Territoriality in Gannets. SCIENCE 341: 68-70.
- Jessopp, M., Cronin, M., Hart, T. (2013) Habitat-mediated dive behavior in free-ranging grey seals. PLOS ONE(5), e637201-8.
- Busch, M, Kannen, A, Garthe, S, Jessopp, M (2013) Consequences of a cumulative perspective on marine environmental impacts: Offshore wind farming and seabirds at North Sea scale in context of the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive. Ocean & Coastal Management, 71: 213-224.
- Jessopp MJ, Cronin M, Doyle TK, Wilson M, McQuatters-Gollop A, Newton S, Phillips RA (2013) Transatlantic migration by post-breeding puffins:a strategy to exploit a temporarily abundant food resource? Marine Biology 160: 2755-2762.
- Johnson, M.P., Jessopp, M., Mullholland, O., McInerney, C., McAllen, R., Allcock,A.L., Crowe; (2008) What is the future for Marine Protected Areas in Irish waters? Biology and The Environment: Proceedings Royal Irish Academy, 108B (1):11-17.