- Our Services
- Visual Identity Standards
- Audience Research Initiative
- How do we do audience research for UCC
- Data protection for audience research participants
- Data protection notice for prospective undergrad audience research survey 2021
- [Draft] Data protection notice for prospective undergrad audience research workshops and interviews 2021
- Code of Practice for Audience Research Activities
- Data protection notice for Norstat website user experience survey 2023
Data protection notice for prospective undergrad audience research survey 2021
At University College Cork, we treat your privacy seriously. Any personal data which you provide to the University will be treated with the highest standards of security and confidentiality, in accordance with Irish and European Data Protection legislation. This notice sets out details of the information that we collect, how we process it and who we share it with for the purposes of this survey. It also explains your rights under data protection law in relation to our processing of your data.
Who we are
Throughout this Notice, "we", "us" and "our" refers to the Office of Marketing and Communications, University College Cork. For more information about us please refer to our website.
How we collect your personal data
We collect your data, namely your name and email address, from you if you choose to enter the prize draw after completing the prospective undergraduate audience research survey 2021. The answers you provide to the survey are completely anonymous. Your data will be used by us only in accordance with the purposes outlined in this notice.
The purpose and legal basis for collecting your data
Any personal data you provide to us via the prospective undergraduate audience research survey 2021 will be processed fairly and lawfully.
It will be used for the purposes of:
- contacting the winners of the draw for participants in the survey and delivery of the prizes to the winners
Any anonymous response data, including demographic data, will be used for the purpose of:
- Analysis of trends and information needs of our audiences to better plan our website and other communications to serve different demographic groups with timely, relevant and accurate information to them as stakeholders in UCC activity.
The Data Protection Acts allows us to process your data because you have provided your explicit consent. You are entitled to withdraw your consent at any time. If you do withdraw your consent, the Office of Marketing and Communications will no longer process your personal data and will take steps to delete all reference to your data securely.
As your response data (the answers to the survey questions) will be held separately from your personal data (your name and email address), it will not be possible to identify and remove your response data at a later stage and your anonymous responses will remain part of the dataset once they have been submitted.
Details of third parties with whom we share personal data
Your personal data will not be shared with any third parties.
The University may share your anonymised response data excluding any personally identifiable information, with the following third parties where necessary for purposes of the processing outlined above
- Picklejar Communications for the purposes of analysing the responses to the survey
- Other 3rd party providers of audience research analysis services
Cross-border data transfers
In the course of processing your personal data, it may be transferred outside of the European Economic Area on the understanding we rely on legally approved mechanisms to lawfully transfer data across borders including the Standard Contractual Clauses approved by the European Commission.
How long we will keep your data
In keeping with the data protection principles we will only store your data for as long as is necessary. For the purposes described here we will store:
- your personal data for a maximum of 12 months after the close of the survey for the purposes of determining and contacting the winners of the incentive prize draw
- your anonymised response data for 5-10 years for the purposes of analysis across multiple years.
You have various rights under data protection law, subject to certain exemptions, in connection with our processing of your personal data, including the right:
- to find out if we use your personal data, access your personal data and receive copies of your personal data;
- to have inaccurate/incomplete information corrected and updated;
- in certain circumstances, to have your details deleted from systems that we use to process your personal data or have the use of your personal data restricted in certain ways;
- to object to certain processing of your data by UCC;
- to exercise your right to data portability where applicable (i.e. obtain a copy of your personal data in a commonly used electronic form;
- where we have relied upon consent as a lawful basis for processing, to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time;
- to not be subject to solely automated decision;
- to request that we stop sending you direct marketing communications.
If you wish to avail of these rights, please write to: The Information Compliance Manager, University College Cork at email@example.com.
Questions or complaints
If you have any queries in relation to the survey please contact a member of the Web Content Team in the Office of Marketing and Communications via firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any queries or complaints in connection with our processing of your personal data, you can contact UCC’s Information Compliance Manager by email at: email@example.com
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commission if you are unhappy with our processing of your personal data. Details of how to lodge a complaint can be found on the Data Protection Commission’s website (www.dataprotection.ie), or by telephoning 1890 252 231.
In submitting this form, you understand and agree that your personal details will be used by the Office of Marketing and Communications, University College Cork for the purposes outlined above.