1880 Munster Dairy School - Model Farm Cork
Dr. Tolborn, a member of the Cork Agricultural Society, proposed in 1880 that a dairy school should be established at the Munster Model Farm in Cork. The Board for National Education supported the proposal and the Munster Dairy School and Agricultural Institute was established and opened in 1880. This was the first dairy school in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. It introduced a course (two 6-week terms) for the training of 'dairymaids' for farm butter-making.
1890 - 1899 The 1890's
1893 Creamery Managers Course - Munster Dairy School Cork
Industrilization of the dairy industry created the need for trained personnel (creamery managers); to meet this need In 1893 a Creamery Managers (6 week course) was initiated in the Munster Dairy School Model Farm Road Cork. A similar course commenced in The Albert College, Dublin in 1894.
1910 - 1919 The 1910's
1915 Transfer of Creamery Managers course to Royal College of Science for Ireland
In 1915, the Creamery Managers course was transferred to the Royal College of Science for Ireland and was transferred in 1924 to University College Cork.
1920 - 1929 The 1920's
1923 First Professors of Dairying, University College Cork.
Photograph top left to right: Professor Michael Grimes, Lecturer in Agricultural Bacteriology, 1923-1927; Lecturer (and later Professor of Dairy Bacteriology, 1927-1959: Professor Connell Boyle, Professor of Agriculture 1923-1964; Dean of Faculty of Dairy Science, 1926-1964: Professor Joseph Lyons, Dairy Produce Inspector, Department of Agriculture, 1921-1927; Lecturer (and later Professor) of Dairy Technology, 1927-1954: Lower left to right: Professor Frank McGrath, Lecturer in Electrical Engineering, 1923-1927; Lecturer (and later Professor) in Dairy Engineering 1927-1967: Professor G.T. Pyne, Lecturer (and later Professor) in Dairy Chemistry, 1924-1969: Professor Michael Murphy, Lecturer and later Professor of Dairy Accounting and Economics, 1928-1969.
1924 Report of the Drew Commission
April 11, 1924. The Report of the Drew Commission which was drawn up to advise the newly established Irish Free State Government, made numerous recommendations on aspects of agriculture, including the establishment of a Department of Agriculture at University College Dublin, University College Cork, University College Galway and Trinity College Dublin.
1924 Announcement of the Faculty of Dairy Science in UCC
At the meeting of the Governing Body of UCC on October 10th 1924, UCC President Merriman announced that following discussions with Government Ministers and Officials of the Department of Agriculture that the Cork College was to be granted a full Faculty of Agriculture. While the minutes of the Governing Body Meeting recorded the title “Faculty of Agriculture” the term “Faculty of Dairy Science” was recorded twice in the margins of the minutes. (apparently there was some confusion at to what was on offer). Professor O'Rahilly (pctured) who was Registrar UCC at the time (1920-1944) and later President UCC, 1944-1954, had made a major effort to get a Department/Faculty of Agriculture in UCC. However a Faculty of Dairy Science was allocated instead.
1924 1st intake of students on the Certificate in Creamery Management Course
On 1st October 1924 it was decided by the Government and UCC to transfer the Creamery Managers’ Course from the Royal College of Science of Ireland, Dublin (RCSI) to UCC. On October 3rd 1924, the Assistant Secretary, Department of Lands and Agriculture, H.G. Smith wrote to nine students who had been due to enter the second year of the Creamery Manager Course at the RCSI informing them that they were being transferred to UCC and that they should report there on October 14 at 10:00. They were requested to confirm which all of them did. There was an intake in 1924 of 13 students, 11 of whom graduated in 1926 and a further 11 in 1927.
1928 Laying of the Foundation Stone of the New Dairy Institute
Following much discussion the location of Fernhurst Avenue (now Donovans Road) was chosen as the location for the building of the New Dairy Institute. Work commenced on the building with the laying of the foundation stone by W.T. Cosgrave, President of the Irish Free State on July 20, 1928. The building was opened in 1931.
1928 First BSc (Dairying) graduate conferred
Jeremiah Doherty was the first graduate conferred with a BSc (Dairying) in 1928. He had started an Associateship in the BSc equivalent in the Royal College in Dublin and transferred to UCC to complete his degree. Mr. Jeremiah Doherty (front row, second from left) with President Merriman and academic staff, 1928.
1930 - 1939 The 1930's
1930 Experimental Creamery commences operations
The UCC Experimental Creamery built as part of the Dairy Science Building commenced operation in April 1930. It was a semi-commercial operation with a capacity to process 20,000L milk per day. It purchased cream from the small co-operative creameries, Ballinhassig CDS, Carrigaline CDS and Imokilly CDS. And surplus milk from liquid milk producers in the Cork area. It made made retail sales of cheese and butter under its own brand, “University Band”.
1936 First Postgraduate Students
Postgraduate degrees in MSc (Dairying) and PhD were introduced at an early stage. First Postgraduate Students (seated l-r: Dr. A.J. Hennerty, Prof. Merriman, President, W. Finlay (MSc), (standing l-r: T. Neville (BSc Dairying), Prof. Grimes, M. O’Shea (MSc later Professor of Dairy Technology).
1940 - 1949 The 1940's
1946 First female BSc(Dairy Science) conferred
Ms. Elizabeth Fitzpatrick was the 1st female to graduate with a BSc in Dairy Science in 1946
1950 - 1959 The 1950's
1950 Introduction of Food Science and Technology
In 1950 postgraduate course in Food Bacteriology for graduates in Chemistry or Biochemistry was introduced. 1957 the US Counterpart Fund; Scholarships were awarded to: Tony O'Sullivan- Conrnell University- PhD 1962; Michael Mulcahy - MIT 1958/9; P.J. Gaffney - Institute of Food Technology, London; S.F. O'Donovan (Pictured) - Universiry of Reading 1958/9.
1954 First discussions on Food Science
Henry Atkins, President of UCC 1954-1963 attempted to establish a Faculty of Agriculture through a grant from The Ford Foundation, however funding was unsuccessful. Funding obtained from The Kellogg Foundation allowed for the training of many postgraduate students in Food Science in the USA. President Atkins was a major force in the establishment of Food Science at UCC.
1960 - 1969 The 1960's
1961 First Academic "food" related appointment
Professor Tadhg O'Mullanae was appointed as Professor of Dairy and Food Microbiology in 1961. This was the first appointment with the title of "food".
1970 - 1979 The 1970's
1970 Introduction of Human Nutrition to the Dairy Science Programme
The decision to supplement the BSc (Dairying) with Human Nutrition was taken following a review by Professor Harris of Massachusetts Insitiute of Technology in 1970. The first appointement in Nutrition was Dr. Frank Cremin (1974-1978). The 1st Professor of Nutrition was Professor Morrissey appointed in 1978, subsequently in 1979, a joint honours degree in Food Chemistry and Nutrition was introduced.
Photograph: Professor P.A. Morrissey, Lecturer in Food Chemistry and first Professor of Nutrition, UCC
1977 Construction of New Food Science and Technology Building
A new site was chosen for the New Food Science and Technology Building at College Road. The site included four properties. La Retraite, Lapp’s Charity, a private house (Cudmore’s) and a poultry merchant’s yard which were purchased. The New Food Science and Technology Building was completed and occupied in 1979. The new building included extensive pilot plant facilities with equipment for Dairy, Meat and Cereal Technology.
1990 - 1999 The 1990's
1993 Expansion of the Food Science and Technology Building
Owing to lack of physical facilities the Food Science and Technology Building underwent a further expansion. The building was officially opened in 1993.
Photograph: Official Opening of the Food Science and Technology Building Left-Right: Albert Flynn, Dean, Bernard Allen, TD, Joe O’Callaghan, Lord Mayor of Cork. Niamh Breathnach, Minister for Education, Michael Mortell, President, UCC.
1998 Establishment of the Department of Food Science and Technology
During mid 1990's, President of UCC Michael Mortell, embarked on a rationalization programme throughout UCC. This included the amalgamation of Departments within the Faculty of Food Science and Technology. Following consultation the Departments of Food Chemistry, Food Technology, Nutrition and Agriculture agreed to amalgamate to form a Department of Food Science and Technology. This later became the Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences and presently the School of Food and Nutritional Sciences with Professorships in Food Technology, Food Chemistry and Nutrition.
2010 - 2019 The 2010's
2016 Faculty of Food Science and Technology: A History
A book outlining the history of the Faculty of Food Science and Technology was published in 2016. ... Read more
2016 Faculty of Food Science and Technology: A History
This book describes mainly the history of the Dairy/Food Science Faculty since 1924 and its antecedents during the period 1880-1924. The focus is on the events leading to the establishment of the Faculty, its physical facilities, course programmes and the staff involved. The book contains numerous figures, photographs and appendices.
All history presented in this timeline has been sourced from the book Faculty of Food Science and Technology University College Cork: A History, edited by Professor Patrick F. Fox with the assistance of Ms. Anne Cahalane.