New Avenues to Teaching (NAT)
UCC's Project under the HEA's Programme for Access to Higher Education (PATH)
This three-year funding initiative (2017-2020) aims to improve Equity of Access to students who have been traditionally under-represented in teaching.
These students include:
- Students with a disability
- Students from the Irish Traveller community
- Students from other ethnic minorities
- Students from target socio-economic groups
- Mature students (undergraduate only)
- Students who are lone parents
At UCC we aim to increase participation of these students in our initial teacher education courses in three ways:
- Funding: The provision of scholarships and bursaries to aid students in financial need
- A Junior Teacher Programme: Which will focus on both recruiting students from target groups into teaching and supporting them academically in this journey
- Personal support: There will be a dedicated NAT project officer within the school of education whose job it will be to guide and support these students while they are studying education at UCC.