Information for School Leavers
What are the minimum entry requirements?
Leaving Certificate entry requirements:
At Least six subjects must be presented. Minimum grade H5 in two subjects and minimum grade O6/H7 in four other subjects. English and Irish are requirements for all programmes unless the applicant is exempt from Irish.
Applicants will need to meet the following minimum entry requirements:
How do I apply?
Applications for the course are made through the Central Applications Office (CAO). The course code is CK606.
What kind of skills do I need?
The architectural programme requires a broad set of skills. An artistic ability will be important although the design studio work will help develop this. A good grasp of maths, English and a science-based subject would also be useful.
Must I submit a portfolio?
What are the typical student numbers ?
In the first year of the course there are a maximum of 45 places.
What topics will be covered in first year?
- Design Studio: Design projects involving individual and group work, graphic techniques, sketching and painting, pencil drawing, freehand drawing, computer-aided drawing, model-making, web design, photography.
- Environmental Design: Storage and transfer of energy, comfort factors, solar gain, daylight factors, acoustics and noise, electricity.
- Construction & Material: Building elements, components and materials, moisture effects and moisture exclusion, construction requirements for floors, walls and roofs, brickwork and concrete, timber, metals, internal finishes, building regulations, safety.
- History & Theory: Overview of architectural history, Greek and Roman architecture, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque architecture, shelter and settlements, articulation of form and space, colour theory, texture and form of materials.
- Structures: Structural terminology, material properties, force, stress and strain, transfer of loads, Newton's Laws.