About This Course
Personal and Management Coaching [online/blended or classroom-based]
Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
NFQ Award Title
€3,400 per academic year. See Fees and Costs for full details.
NFQ Level 8 honours degree or level 8 Higher Diploma, in which at least a second class honours was awarded. See Requirements for full details.
18 September 2023
Cork UCC Campus Classroom based or
Online / blended version which has one classroom-based day in Cork
This programme will equip graduates to implement coaching in diverse settings such as business, leadership development, life balance, personal coaching, health care, social care, career coaching, sports coaching, performance and change management. coaching is now recognised as a key component in increasing performance, achieving goals and optimising personal and group effectiveness. existing models of coaching are now being applied in wider contexts and in emerging new settings. this programme will assist students to develop new skills to meet increasingly complex life and management challenges and to practice these coaching skills to the highest standards. graduates of the post graduate certificate programme may apply for membership of the association for coaching.
Upon completion students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of the role of relationship in the coaching conversation or intervention.
- Implement an integrated approach to coaching drawing on appropriate approaches and coaching models
- Implement coaching in the development of effective leadership and within the process of managing change
- Practice and integrate emotional intelligence within the coaching process through effective self-management, mindfulness and heighten personal and social awareness
- Draw on reflective practice as a means of learning and develop effective writing skills with the use of journal keeping
- Coach within ethical and professional boundaries following an established code of ethics and supervision
Please see below a short introductory video about the course.
For Academic Queries and Course Content Queries please contact the Programme Coordinator Pat O Leary at email@example.com.
For Online Application Support please click here.
If you require further assistance with your online application please contact the Programme Administrator Noreen Delea at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
Students can either complete this Postgraduate Certificate in Personal Management Coaching in a face to face classroom environment on UCC campus or through online blended learning.
Year 1 Modules [Classroom-based delivery]
- AD6001: The Coaching Relationship (5 credits)
- AD6002: Coaching Approaches and Skills (5 credits)
- AD6003: Coaching Practicum (20 credits)
Year 1 Modules [Online/Blended delivery]
- AD6009: The Coaching Relationship (5 credits)
- AD6010: Coaching Approaches and Skills (5 credits)
- AD6011: Coaching Practicum (20 credits)
For face to face delivery, lectures take place on UCC Campus, Cork on Tuesday evenings from 6.30pm to 9.30pm, with occasional weekend workshops.
For blended delivery, online classes take place on Monday evenings 6.30pm - 9.30pm with occasional weekend workshops. Students will also be required to attend 1 day workshop over the course of the year. This workshop will be held in Cork.
Continuous assessment based on academic essays, reflective assignments, coaching competencies and presentations.
Who Teaches this Course
Staff of Adult and Continuing Education
Why Choose This Course
The Post Graduate Certificate in Personal and Management Coaching can be used as a building block towards a Masters in Personal and Management Coaching, see related course on this page. A Masters requires the completion of 90 credits, the PG Cert provides you with 30 of these credits. For further information on how to build on this qualification towards a Master please contact the Programme Co Ordinator.
- NFQ Level 8 honours degree or level 8 Higher Diploma, in which at least a second class honours was awarded.
- Applicants are required to supply two written references. One reference must be a professional reference.
- Applicants may be required to attend for interview as part of the application process.
- The English Language Requirements for applicants whose first language is not English must have attained IELTS Level 6.5 or the equivalent TOEFL score
Final selection of candidates will be subject to the approval of the Programme Team.
Fees and Costs
€3,400 per academic year.
For further information on fees and financial supports please click here.
How Do I Apply
Applicants need to be aware of the IT student checklist below before applying:
- You will need access to a laptop or desktop computer running a modern supported operating system with all software updates.
- Some of UCC’s services (e.g. the Canvas Virtual Learning Environment) link to an external site and also have mobile apps for iOS and Android Devices that you may wish to use as part of your studies. However, we recommend using your desktop web browser for submission of assessments.
- You should always use the most current version of your preferred browser. In general, we recommend the Chrome Web browser (Important Note: Internet Explorer will not work with Canvas).
- We recommend a reliable broadband connection with at least 2Mbps or more.
- You will require an Office suite of software (Microsoft Office or equivalent) and a PDF reader. You should always use the latest version of this software. All UCC students will have access to Office 365 which includes software such as Word/Excel/Powerpoint etc. once registered.
To Apply for this course please follow the steps below:
When you log into the Application Portal:
Click Apply Online
Select Start a new Adult & Continuing Education Application
During your online application you will be required to upload the following documents:
- Application Statement
- Birth Cert or Passport
- Passport Photograph
- Curriculum Vitae
- English Language Test Report [if applicable]
- Transcripts [if applicable]
- 50% of the fees are also required to complete your application.