Applications invited_Post-Doctoral/Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher
The Mobile and Internet Systems Laboratory (MISL) in the School of Computer Science & IT at UCC is an internationally recognised research centre focused on innovative networking research. MISL is the UCC home for the SFI-funded CONNECT Centre for Future Networks & Communications. A new targeted project with our indusry partner Dell EMC on the area of mobile edge storage will soon commence. In this regard, we are now seeking to fill the Post-Doctoral position, making an appointment up to the level of Senior Post-Doctoral researcher depending on the career stage of the successful applicant. The appointed person will be expected to make significant contributions to the direction and progress of the project, working closely with the Principal Investigator Professor Sreenan and with the company personnel. We especially seek applications from candidates with expertise in cloud storage platforms, mobile edge computing and distributed systems. The ideal candidate will also have experience of experimental methods, laboratory testbeds and systems programming, and be familiar with the communication needs of connected vehicles.
Applicants are invited from those with a Ph.D. qualification and publications in a directly relevant area. Applications from Ph.D. candidates with a firm date for their viva of before the end of September 2018 will also be considered.
Please note this position may be filled at Post-Doctoral or Senior Post-Doctoral level depending on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
Salary: €36,853 - €43,828 (IUA Post-Doctoral Salary Scale) €45,089 - €47,728 (IUA Senior Post-Doctoral Salary Scale)
Post Duration: up to 24 months
Post – Doctoral Researcher
Key Duties and Responsibilities
This title will apply to newly qualified Post-Doctoral Researchers and will be considered as a period of training as the researcher will have dual goals in terms of the research project and their own career development. The researcher will be mentored by a Principal Investigator (PI). It is expected that a researcher would spend not more than 3 years at the Post Doctoral level, subject to the term of the project and would then be eligible to compete for a Senior Post Doctoral post advertised by the University.
The primary focus of the Postdoctoral Researcher will be research however a particular emphasis during this stage should include;
- To conduct a specified programme of research under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator/Project Leader.
- To engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by the Principal Investigator, School or College in order to develop research skills and competencies.
- To gain experience in grant writing.
- To engage in the dissemination of the results of the research in which they are engaged, as directed by, with the support of and under the supervision of a Principal Investigator.
- To become familiar with the publication process.
- To acquire generic and transferable skills (including project management, business skills and postgraduate mentoring/supervision).
- To engage in the wider research and scholarly activities of the research group, School or College.
- To interact closely with postgraduate research students who are studying for a Masters or a PhD and possibly have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research in conjunction with an academic supervisor.
- To carry out administrative work to support the programme of research.
- To carry out additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- To contribute to costing research grant proposals and assist in the financial management of a research project.
- A PhD qualification.
- Appropriate research experience.
- Appropriate technical competence and accomplishment.
- A capability of working within a project team to achieve results.
- Good communication, organisation and interpersonal skills.
- A commitment to gaining practical experience working on a research project.
- Ability to work well within a team.
- Please note that garda vetting and international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
Senior Post – Doctoral Researcher
This is an advanced research training role, building on their prior experience as a Post-Doctoral Researcher in UCC or elsewhere, where you will conduct a specified programme of research and research training under the guidance of a Principal Investigator. The primary purpose of the role is to deliver research results and objectives, develop new or advanced research skills and competencies, the successful development of funding proposals and to interact in the supervision and mentorship of graduate students, in conjunction with an academic supervisor.
The Post-Doctoral/Senior Post-Doctoral phase has an expected duration up to a maximum of 6 years, subject to the term of the project, on a full-time or part-time basis. Movement to the grade of Senior Post-Doctoral researcher in the University will be by competing for an advertised post. External appointments made directly to Senior Post-Doctoral research positions must have previous post-doctoral experience of at least 3 years.
Key duties and responsibilities (Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher)
- To conduct and lead a specified programme of research under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator/Project Leader.
- To secure competitive research funding for research proposals
- To engage in appropriate and professional development opportunities as required by your Principal Investigator, School or College.
- To assume a role in the design as well as the execution of research, contributing significantly to the development of research proposals and funding successes.
- To support the Principal Investigator and research group in the design and development of a research programme.
- To engage in the dissemination of the results of the research, as directed by and with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigator.
- To engage in the wider research activities of the Research Group, School or College.
- To interact closely with postgraduate research students who are studying for a Masters or a PhD and have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research in conjunction with the supervisor or supervision team.
- To conduct administrative and management work associated with the research project.
- To carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- To engage in costing research grant proposals and take on financial management of projects.
Criteria (Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher)
- A PhD qualification.
- Extensive competence and experience in a research area.
- Supervisory skills.
- Leadership potential.
- Experience of applying for and securing funding.
- Please note that Garda vetting and international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
For Informal Enquiries on the post candidates should contact:
Name: Cormac Sreenan
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +353 21 4205930
By email to Ms. Mary Noonan, email@example.com, on or before the closing date August 20th, 2018:
Please include (PDF format only):
- short cover letter;
- full CV;
- statement of research interests and achievements;
- copies of two most significant peer-reviewed papers.
Please use Subject “CONNECT Post Doc/Senior Post Doc Researcher” and specify whether you wish to be considered for the Post-Doctoral Researcher and/or Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher position.
Supplementary Information on the Department/Research Centre and the post is available at the following URL: http://www.cs.ucc.ie/misl/
University College Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer