Publications and Press
- Introducing Critical Thinking to Dental Undergraduates - Dr Sharon Curtin, Dr Mary McConnell, Cork University Dental School and Hospital, University College Cork
- Using VTS in the Dental Curriculum to enhance Critical Thinking, Dr Sharon Curtin, Dr Mary McConnell, Cork University Dental School and Hospital, University College Cork, Journal of the Irish Dental Association 2013, News Feature Page 9
- A picture tells 1000 words: learning teamwork in primary care, Dr Martina Kelly, Dr Deirdre Bennett and Dr Siun O’Flynn, Department of Medical Education, University College of Cork, Tony Foley, Kinsale Medical Centre, Cork, Ireland
- VTS Summary - School of Pharmacy - Dr Katie Ryan - July 2 2015
- VTS School of Pharmacy - Presentation 28th March 2013
- Improving Speech and Language Therapy Students' Clinical Skills Using VTS, Prof Fiona Gibbon, Dr Alice Lee (2014), Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences, University College Cork. Update Magazine Autumn/Winter 2014, Irish Association of Speech & Language Therapists
Monica Kidd, Lara Nixon, Tom Rosenal, Roberta Jackson, Laurie Pereles, Ian Mitchell, Glenda Bendiak, Lisa Hughes (2016): Using visual art and collaborative reflection to explore medical attitudes toward vulnerable persons
- Klugman, C, Peel, J, Beckmann-Mendez, D. Art Rounds: Teaching Interprofessional Students Visual Thinking Strategies at One School. Academic Medicine 2011; 86(10): 1266-1271
- Naghshineh S, Hafler JP, Miller AR, Blanco MA, Lipsitz SR, Dubroff RP, Khoshbin S, Katz JT. Formal art observation training improves medical students’ visual diagnostic skills. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2008; 23(7): 991-7.
- Dolev JC, Friedlaender LK, Braverman IM. Use of fine art to enhance visual diagnostic skills. Journal of the American Medical Association 2001; 286(9): 1020-1.
- Bardes CL, Gillers D, Herman AE. Learning to look: developing clinical observational skills at an art museum. Medical Education 2001; 35(12):1157-61.
- Shapiro J, Rucker L, Beck J. Training the clinical eye and mind: using the arts to develop medical students’ observational and pattern recognition skills. Medical Education 2006; 40(3):263-8.
- Schaff, Pamela B, Suzanne Isken, and Robert M Tager. 2011. “From Contemporary Art to Core Clinical Skills: Observation, Interpretation, and Meaning-Making in a Complex Environment.” Academic Medicine 86 (10) (October): 1272–1276. doi:10.1097/ACM.0b013e31822c161d.
- Gaufberg, EG and Williams, MR. Reflection in a Museum Setting: The Personal Responses Tour. Journal of Graduate Medical Education: Dec 2011; 3(4): 546-549
- Boisaubin EV, Winkler MG. Seeing patients and life contexts: the visual arts in medical education. American Journal of the Medical Sciences 2000; 319(5):292-6.
- Perry, M, N Maffulli, and S Willson. 2011. “The Effectiveness of Arts‐Based Interventions in Medical Education: a Literature Review.” Medical Education.
- The Meaning of Visual Thinking Strategies for Nursing Students, Margaret M. Moorman (2013), University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- An Introduction to Visual Thinking Strategies, Henry M Goldman, Boston University, School of Dental Medicine
- From the Galleries to the Clinic: Applying Art Museum Lessons to Patient Care, Alexa Miller & Michelle Grohe & Shahram Khoshbin &
Joel T. Katz, Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
- The Art of Observation: A Pedagogical Framework, Caroline Wellbery, MD, PhD, and Rebecca A. McAteer, MD
- Applying VTS in the Creative Arts to Develop Economic Leaders, Rooney, A. (2013), Appalachian State University
- Visual Thinking Strategies: A New Role for Art in Medical Education, Jo Marie Reilly, MD; Jeffrey Ring, PhD; Linda Duke 2005
- Art for Art's Sake: The Impact of Arts Education, OECD (2013)
- The use of abstract paintings and narratives to foster reflective capacity in medical educators: a multinational faculty development, Khaled Karkabi, Hedy S Wald, Orit Cohen Castel
- The Art of Observation: Visual Literacy for Pathology Trainees, University of Ottowa (2011)
- Neuroeducation: Learning, Arts, and the Brain: Findings and Challenges for Educators and Researchers from the 2009 Johns Hopkins University Summit
- The Meaning of VTS for Nursing Students - University of Indiana
- Check out ArtsEd Search for a vast body of research on arts impact on children and adults in a broad range of settings
- Newsletter February 2016 Edition, College of Medicine and Health, UCC
- Art, Medicine, and a Real Education, Mindy Leaf (2015)
UM Healthcare Students Learn Visual Thinking Strategies at the Lowe Art Museum - Coral Gables (2010)
- Art Enhances Brain Function and Well-Being - Renee Phillips (2015)
Picking up STEAM: How the arts can drive STEM leadership - Bonnie Gardiner (2015)
- VTS in Healthcare Webinar 2015 - Sioban Murphy, UCC
- Using Art to make better Doctors TED X - Professor Tony Ryan (2013)