Clinical Leadership for Nursing and Healthcare Quality Improvement NU6306
6 weeks on-line
Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
€900 See Fees and Costs for full details.
See Detailed Entry Requirements. See Requirements for full details.
24th July 2020
Course Delivery Method
On-line. No attendance.
Runs from 31st Aug 2020 to 20th Oct 2020
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Critically explore the concept of leadership and theoretical approaches to leadership and their application to clinical practice.
- Identify and critically analyse core competencies required for contemporary clinical leadership in nursing.
- Critically appraise methods and models of decision-making in clinical leadership.
- Demonstrate critical awareness of team leadership and inter-professional communication in different health care contexts.
- Identify and critically discuss the role of nurse leaders in quality improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrate critical awareness of role of leadership in creation of a safe environment for patient/client care.
- Identify and critically reflect on the role of nurse leaders in creating a motivating clinical environment, staff empowerment and advocacy.
- Debate and appraise critical issues in meeting the needs of service users within the challenges of a dynamic political, social, technical, economic, organisational and professional environment.
Module Objective: To develop a critical understanding of the concept of clinical leadership in nursing and explore the key leadership knowledge, skills and competencies required by nurses for healthcare quality improvement.
Module Content: Theories of Leadership and their application to clinical nursing practice; core leadership competencies; models of nurse led decision-making; nurse led quality improvement and patient safety initiatives e.g. the productive ward/transforming care at the bed side (TCAB); clinical supervision; team leadership and inter-professional communication; motivating work environment, staff empowerment and advocacy; nursing leadership challenges in meeting the changing needs of service users in a dynamic political, social, technical, economic, organisational and professional environment.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
Duration: 200hr(s) Other (Online Learning: Discussion Board Preparation and Participation, Required Reading, Assignment Preparation and Submission, Self-Directed Learning).
Assessment: Total Marks 200: Continuous Assessment 200 marks (2,000 word Essay ? 120 marks; Online activities- 80 marks).
Compulsory Elements: Continuous Assessment.
All On-line - No attendance
Applicants must be qualified healthcare professionals registered with the regulatory body in their country of residence. Applicants must have a primary degree, NFQ Level 8 or equivalent.
Applicants who are under 23 years of age must satisfy the minimum entry requirements as for the Degrees in Nursing or Midwifery, as set out here
Admission to the module(s) will be subject to internal university approval processes on the recommendation of the Head of School.
Applicants for Nursing and Midwifery CPD modules who do not hold an up-to-date IELTS certificate showing the requisite Academic Board approved CM&H scores must demonstrate evidence of appropriate work experience within an English language environment for at least the previous 2 years.
These modules will not necessarily run unless minimum recruitment targets of 10 students are achieved.
Fees and Costs
€900 plus the €35 application fee payable on-line as detailed in How to Apply section.
How Do I Apply
THIS MODULE IS ON OFFER IN THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2020/2021
To apply for this module please download and complete the application form and submit via email with the relevant documents to:
- Download and complete the application form at the link below.
- Gather any additional documents required (including a passport-style photo).
- Pay your €35 application fee for this module via UCC’s Online Portal, noting your Application ID: Click here to proceed to UCC’s Online Portal
- Send your completed application form, photo and any relevant documents, including your application ID via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application is open for this module.
An tIonad um Fhorbairt Ghairmiúil Leanúnaigh,
Q+1 floor, The Boole Library, Main Quad, U.C.C.
OR via e-mail at email@example.com