Physical Assessment for Nursing Practice NU5082
Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
€400 See Fees and Costs for full details.
Registered Nurses Only. See Requirements for full details.
30th October 2020
Brookfield Health Sciences Complex, University College Cork
Exact rooms to be confirmed.
See Additional Teaching Mode Information for dates
This module is designed for registered nurses who wish to develop or advance their skills in taking a detailed clinical history and performing a head to toe physical examination.
On successful completion of this module you will be able to:
- Take an appropriate history from a patient presenting with a health problem(s).
- Apply knowledge of the body’s systems to demonstrate understanding of the implications and relevance of an accurate physical assessment.
- Conduct a comprehensive head to toe physical examination.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop assessment, diagnostic reasoning and patient management skills.
- Record their findings and interpretation accurately and comprehensively in written and oral formats.
Module Content: Principles of Patient Assessment and Clinical Reasoning. Taking a history, demonstration and practice. Vital signs and global physical assessment. Assessment of the gastro-intestinal, cardiovascular, respiratory and neurological systems; demonstration and practice. The 'complete physical' examination. Legal and professional considerations.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
Teaching Method(s): 25 (Video, demonstration, simulation workshops, discussion), 75 (Independent learning).
Orientation Mon 4th Jan 2021 09.00-17.00 BHSC
Class dates for 2020/21:
Jan 14th 09.00-13.00
Jan 21st 09.00-13.00
Jan 28th 09.00-13.00
Feb 4th 09.00-13.00
|Feb 11th 09.00-13.00||
|Feb 18th 09.00-13.00||
Total Marks 100: Continuous Assessment 100 marks (Clinical Logbook 100 marks).
Applicants must be registered nurses with evidence of current registration with the relevant professional regulatory body (e.g. the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI). See also Detailed Entry Requirements.
Applicants who are under 23 years of age must satisfy the minimum entry requirements as for the Degrees in Nursing, as set out here.
Admission to the module(s) will be subject to internal university approval processes on the recommendation of the Head of School.
Applicants for Nursing and Midwifery CPD modules whose main language is not English and do not hold an up-to-date IELTS certificate showing the requisite Academic Board approved CM&H scores must demonstrate evidence of appropriate work experience within an English language environment for at least the previous 2 years.
Those who complete this module may be eligible to apply for exemptions from other programmes if similar or relevant to existing modules on other programmes, if taken within a five year time frame, if judged relevant and to a maximum of 15 credits.
These modules will not necessarily run unless minimum recruitment targets of 10 students are achieved. Students will be encouraged to take one or two modules per annum to a maximum of 15 credits.
If you are applying with Qualifications obtained outside Ireland and you wish to verify if you meet the minimum academic and English language requirements for this programme please click here to view the grades comparison table by country and for details of recognised English language tests.
Fees and Costs
Course Fee: €400. The application fee is €35.
How Do I Apply
To apply for this module:
- Download and complete the application form at the link below
- Gather any additional documents required (including a passport-style photo)
- Pay your €35 application fee for this module via UCC’s Online Portal, noting your Application ID: Click here to proceed to UCC’s Online Portal
- Send your completed application form, photo and any relevant documents, including your application ID via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Form: Can be accessed in the link below for 2020/21
Forward this form along with the:
- Application fee,
- A passport sized photograph and
- Any other documentation requested on the form.