Preparation for Birth and Parentcraft
Attendance on 6 days
Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
€400 See Fees and Costs for full details.
See Requirements for full details.
Not on offer 2020/21: Replaced by the module NU6153
Either CUMH or UCC, to be confirmed.
Not applicable to 2020/21
NOTE: This module is not running in the academic year 2020/21.
It has been replaced by the module NU6153 Preparation for Birth and Parenthood Education Facilitation, Semester 2, 2020/21. Details can be accessed in this link: Preparation for Birth and Parenthood Education Facilitation NU6153
This programme is designed for registered midwives, public health nurses and physiotherapists who wish to develop or advance their skills in the provision of antenatal education programmes to prospective parents.
Core areas addressed are:
- Presentation Development
- Facilitative sessions with multidisciplinary experts
- Hands on practical workshops.
Aim: To develop knowledge, skill and competence in the facilitation of education for birth and parenthood in the current health care environment.
On successful completion of this module you will be able to:
- Design and facilitate a course of antenatal and parenthood education.
- Develop teaching and learning strategies that can be used to attract and inform a group of prospective parents.
- Critically analyse a range of teaching and facilitation skills to make learning effective for prospective parents.
- Develop skills to evaluate courses for prospective parents for use in different learning environments.
- Critically reflect on own practice; develop personal goals, and a professional career plan.
Topics included are as follows: Facilitation skills, group dynamics, teaching and learning strategies, promotion, protection and support of normal birth, preparation for parenthood, multiculturalism, preparation of teenagers for birth and parenthood, loss and grief, presentation skills, reflection, evaluation techniques.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
NOTE: This module is not running in the academic year 2020/21. It has been replaced by the module NU6153 Preparation for Birth and Parenthood Education Facilitation, Semester 2, 2020/21. Preparation for Birth and Parenthood Education Facilitation NU6153
The module is delivered over 6 days and consists of 36 theory and practical hours.
Orientation date: Not On Offer 2020/21
Class dates for 2020/21: Not On Offer 2020/21
Assessment and Evaluation:
Students will engage in developing an independent presentation on the facilitation of birth and parenthood and preparation.
Total Marks: 100 includes an Oral Presentation (70 marks) and a 1,000 word written assignment (30 marks).
Open to registered health care professionals in Nursing, Midwifery, Public Health Nursing and or Physiotherapists ONLY.
Places on these modules are limited and are offered to applicants from the HSE South/South West Hospital Group or Community Health Organisation Area 4 in the first instance. Any remaining places may be offered to applicants not from these organisations.
Applicants who are practising health care professionals must provide evidence of current registration with the relevant professional regulatory body.
Applicants who are under 23 years of age must satisfy the minimum entry requirements as for the Degrees in Nursing or Midwifery, as set out here
Admission to the module(s) will be subject to internal university approval processes on the recommendation of the Head of School.
Applicants for Nursing and Midwifery CPD modules who do not hold an up-to-date IELTS certificate showing the requisite Academic Board approved CM&H scores must demonstrate evidence of appropriate work experience within an English language environment for at least the previous 2 years.
These modules will not necessarily run unless minimum recruitment targets of 10 students are achieved.
Fees and Costs
The fee for this module is €400. There is also a €35 application fee.
How Do I Apply
To apply for this module please download and complete the application form below and submit with the relevant documents to:
- Download and complete the application form at the link below.
- Gather any additional documents required (including a passport-style photo)
- Pay your €35 application fee for this module via UCC’s Online Portal, noting your Application ID: Click here to proceed to UCC’s Online Portal
- Send your completed application form, photo and any relevant documents, including your application ID via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
CPD Co-Ordinator, CPD Centre,
An tIonad um Fhorbairt Ghairmiúil Leanúnaigh,
Q+1 floor, The Boole Library, Main Quad, U.C.C.