|Duration||2 Day Module|
|Fees||EU Fee: €450.00. Non-EU Fee: €1,025.00. Application Fee also of €35.00 See Fees and Costs for full details.|
|Closing Date||24th November 2023|
|Non-EU Closing Date||N/A|
Timetable with exact location details in Brookfield Health & Science Complex will be confirmed closer to the date and once registration is complete.
|Start Date||1st - 2nd December 2023|
Module Objective: To address psychological models of tinnitus and how they can explain the burden of tinnitus. The different management protocols derived from such models will be discussed, with special emphasis on CBT-based therapies.
Module Content: Pathways of central tinnitus, the psychological effects of tinnitus and different models to explain them, including Hallam's habituation model, the neuro-physiological model and the cognitive behavioral model. The evidence-base of CBT-based therapies will be a focus.
Learning Outcomes: On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Integrate and evaluate different theories related to the generation and establishment of tinnitus within the central auditory pathway.
- Critically examine the burden of tinnitus on the individual and their families.
- Explore and evaluate the main theories explaining the psychological effects of tinnitus.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the cognitive, social and educational challenges in tinnitus management and the evidence-base of different psychological protocols.
- Critically evaluate the principles of CBT and mindfulness, and their application to tinnitus management.
Assessment: Total Marks 100: Continuous Assessment 100 marks (1 x Essay (50 marks); 1 x reflective e-journal or other e-formats such as podcast or blog (50 marks)).
Compulsory Elements: Continuous Assessment.
Penalties (for late submission of Course/Project Work etc.): Where work is submitted up to and including 7 days late, 10% of the total marks available shall be deducted from the mark achieved. Where work is submitted up to and including 14 days late, 20% of the total marks available shall be deducted from the mark achieved. Work submitted 15 days late or more shall be assigned a mark of zero.
Pass Standard and any Special Requirements for Passing Module: 50% Students must pass each of the components independently to pass this module. For students who do not satisfy this requirement, the overall mark achieved in the module and a 'Fail Special Requirement' will be recorded.
Mode of delivery to be confirmed for enquiries see contact information. This module can be also be attended for CPD (non credit bearing) purposes https://www.ucc.ie/en/cpd/options/medhealth/clinicaltherapies/cpd1769/
The requirements are aligned with the requirements of the MSc Hearing, Balance and Communication Postgraduate Programme. Please see following link (https://www.ucc.ie/en/ckx27/) for more information.
Fees and Costs
EU 5 Credit Module fee €450.00
Non-EU 5 Credit Module fee €1,025.00
There is also an application fee of €35.00.
How To Apply
- To apply for this module please log on to the UCC APPLY page and create an account.
- Gather any additional documents required (including a passport-style photo), copy of your degree parchment if not a previous UCC graduate.
- An application fee of €35 will be payable on submission of your application via the same platform.
- For more information on registering online click https://www.ucc.ie/en/cpd/options/faqs/cpdregistration/