On This Page
IT Services After Graduation
UCC provides IT services to UCC Alumni after student graduation.
As an alumnus you will have access to the following list of services (subject to change):
Our student support desk is open seven days a week and can be contacted by various means. Please contact the support desk if you are having difficulty trying to log on.
Conditions of Service
As a condition of service, you must keep your Alumnus Account active to retain it. You should logon to your account through a web browser at least once a year to keep your account active.
Otherwise, the account is considered dormant and is automatically deleted.
If your account is deleted, you can request a new Alumnus account at a future time. NOTE: data from the old account will not be available.
Important Changes to Alumni Accounts - 2023
Due to changes that Google made to their education services on January 1st, 2023, two significant changes will happen during 2023
- a 15GB quota is now in place for all UCC Google alumni accounts since January 2023. This primarily affects Google Drive. Because of this change alumni students are encouraged to move their data from their UCC Google Drive to their own personal Google, Microsoft, or other account. For instructions on how to do this, please see links below.
- Commencing on the 31st August 2023, a process of removing Google Drive services from all UCC Alumni accounts will commence. Alumni students should ensure that all their data is removed by this time to avoid data loss. Links to instructions on how to move your data from your UCC Google drive can be found below.
Transitioning from a Registered Student to an Alumnus
At the expiry of a student’s UCC registration, a Student IT Account is transitioned to a UCC Alumnus account.
An alumnus account provides access to the services as listed above but will also retain the existing emails in Umail that were received as a student. Likewise, the logon details of the new Alumnus account will remain the same as the Student IT account. It will be possible to logon and use the account straight away after the account has been transitioned.
In addition, the UCC Microsoft Office 365 licence applied to your student IT Account is removed at this time. This may affect your continued use of the Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel, Teams that you have installed with your UCC Student account. You may need to purchase a personal licence from Microsoft if you wish to continue using these apps.
Furthermore, access to UCC Microsoft OneDrive and UCC Google Drive are also terminated.
- If you need to retain your data you should move it before the expiry of your UCC student registration.
- To avoid loss of data, you are strongly encouraged to migrate your data from both the UCC Microsoft OneDrive and UCC Google Drive services to your own personal accounts such as Microsoft Outlook.com or Google Gmail accounts…
- Alternatively you can or download directly to your personal device.
- You should plan to do this well in advance to allow sufficient time for the data transfer.
Moving Your Data from UCC Google Drive
If you wish to check what storage you are currently using visit Storage - Google Drive
Information on how to tidy up your data in Google Drive and uMail can be found here: Manage files in your Google Drive storage - Gmail Help
You can find information below on how to move data from your Google Drive. You can also move other data that is saved in your UCC Student accounts such as emails.
- Move to a personal account
- Download your data
The easiest way to move your Google Drive files, is to move them to a personal Google Account. This will allow you to keep important files after you leave UCC. You can find instructions here on how to you UCC Google Drive data to your personal Google Gmail account Copy content from your school account to another account - Google Account Help Transfer your content (google.com)
You can download Google Data to a personal device. To get an email link for a data download or transfer directly to your personal Microsoft OneDrive visit How to download your Google data - Google Account Help
Remember once you have transferred or downloaded your data then delete it from your UCC Google account and empty the Google Trash Bin afterwards.
Moving Your Data from UCC OneDrive
To transfer your data from your UCC Microsoft OneDrive to your personal Microsoft OneDrive see Transfer files to your personal OneDrive with the Mover Transfer Wizard - Microsoft Support
To Transfer your data from your UCC Microsoft OneDrive to your personal Google account
- If you have Microsoft OneDrive synched to your desktop (Sync OneDrive files and folders - Microsoft Support) you can just drag and drop files and folders from OneDrive to your personal Google Drive window. Here is some guides on how to sync OneDrive onMac and Windows
- If you do not have your UCC Microsoft OneDrive already synched to your desktop you could download all the files on the OneDrive onto your hard drive and then move them to your personal Google Drive by dragging and dropping them into the Google Drive window open on your pc.
- Open your UCC OneDrive by logging in to http://o365.ucc.ie with your UCC Student IT Account
- Open OneDrive by selecting Apps in the left-hand column
- Select the files and folders you want to download by checking the tick box next to each
- Select Download from the top menu If your browser prompts you, choose Save or Save As and browse to the location where you want to save the download. Some browsers just start saving right away to a Downloads folder on your computer. If you select multiple files or folders and then select Download, your browser will start downloading a .zip file containing all the files and folders you selected. If you’re in a folder and you select Download without selecting any files or folders, your browser will begin downloading all contents of the folder.