Through The Lens Of Arendt Film Series
Extreme situations, particularly ones of crisis, uncover a person’s true character and values – who they are and where they really operate from.
Through The Lens of Arendt:
- introduces the powerful ideas of Hannah Arendt for thinking afresh about judgment and their impact on how we relate to others
- visits the decision-making of three people facing the same situation
- demonstrates how to use Arendt’s ideas to understand how people think and act differently
- enhances film watching experience and observational skills
Over four months (six fortnightly sessions), participants will watch four films, engage in a two-hour exploration of some of Arendt’s most powerful ideas and practice their application. There will also be an Ideas Session and a Capstone session.
WHO WILL BENEFIT?
- People wishing to practice independent thinking, go beyond the ‘empathy fad’, and engage in genuine dialogues
- Those wishing to grow their minds and to better understand people and relationships and explore where they operate from
- Team leaders responsible for building and sustaining effective teams capable of putting themselves in the place of others
The real-life cases in this Film Club show how people thought and acted differently from each other – some thoughtfully, others thoughtlessly – and allow participants to explore the impact of this thinking. As a result, they will be in a better position to:
- Sense how their words and actions are affecting people
- Hold high quality and purposeful conversations
- Build and sustain effective teams capable of putting themselves in the place of others
- Build a culture of transparency, responsibility and accountability in their businesses
- Make independent thinking a habit
- Make judicious judgment calls
- Challenge and go beyond fads and buzzwords, e.g. ‘empathy’
- Foster connections that may lead them to experiment and innovate
DATE, TIME & VENUE
Not currently on offer as an Open Programme.
Expressions of interest are always welcome.
The Film Club can be co-designed and delivered in-house for team development.