Computer Science

Computer Science students working on the project focused on foundational undergraduate modules.

Please explore the links below to find specific information you are looking for on this page.

Learning Outcomes

Learning outcomes for these modules included:

  • Demonstrate an understanding of core programming constructs
  • Write computer programs of moderate complexity
  • Demonstrate an understanding of some of the principles of good program design.

Current Assessment Design

These modules are assessed through a combination of summative and formative assessment. A written examinations can account for 70% of the total grades, with the other 30% being made up of in-class tests.

Associated Risk of GenAI

GenAI, such as ChatGPT, is highly proficient in producing code, when prompted adequately. The purpose of these foundational modules is to familiarise first year Computer Science students with the basics of programming in Python, a high-level general-purpose programming language. Python is used in numerous real-world applications and is currently the most popular programming language in the world. The use of GenAI to generate code will stunt a student’s development. The student will not proficiently learn the language and will perform poorly when examined.


This module is assessed through in-person examination, which naturally mitigates against the unethical use of GenAI.

Breakdown of process

ChatGPT was used to complete assessment tasks, as presented in the written examination. ChatGPT easily completed the assignment and would score reasonably well. It was previously thought that that AI tools such as ChatGPT were unable to compete with students in this regard but as evidenced through the answers produced, this is incorrect.

Due to ChatGPT easily completing the assignment to a high standard, the concern is that students will not build the necessary foundational knowledge of coding required to progress in their learning journey. By utilising this tool, it could be argued that students could theoretically pass assignments and the course appropriately learning programming skills.


The integration of GenAI, particularly at an early stage in a Computer Science student’s development, is vital. Students need to be made aware of the downsides of its use. While ChatGPT can write code well when prompted, it tends to answer in a very straightforward and basic manner which could lead to numerous problems as a student moves through their studies and into the professional realm.

Case Studies

School College Alternative Download
Computer Science College of Science, Engineering & Food Science

Further Case Studies


Physics students working on the project focused on foundational undergraduate modules.

Find Out More

Business Information Systems

The student-staff pairing for Business Information Systems worked on assessment for undergraduates, focusing, in this example, on a module concerning co-operative banking.

Find Out More


The student-staff pairing from Philosophy worked on a third-year module that focuses on the philosophy of artificial intelligence in our culture.

Find Out More


Our psychology project pairing focused on three connected modules from the doctoral course in Clinical Psychology, a full-time, three-year postgraduate professional course, designed to train psychologists to be eligible for appointment as Clinical Psychologists in health services.

Find Out More


The student-staff pairing from Dentistry focused on an undergraduate module on dental morphology. This module covers the anatomical features of the teeth, their anatomical variations and helps the students learn the identifying features of each tooth.

Find Out More


The project pairing from Neuroanatomy focused a number of related modules concerning neuroscience and the nervous system.

Find Out More


The student-staff pairing for Law worked on assessment design for post-graduate law students. This example is from a Criminology module.

Find Out More

Toolkit for the Ethical Use of GenAI in Learning and Teaching

(AI)2ed Project

Toolkit for the Ethical Use of GenAI by Loretta Goff and Tadhg Dennehy, UCC Skills Centre. This work is licensed under Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International ,