Support for Practice Teachers
"To be supported means, knowing that there are resources available to you which help you to give the best possible experience to your student. It means knowing that there is support available to you should you need to avail of it" Practice teacher, 2022
According to practice teachers the following makes them feel supported in their role as a practice teachers.
Organisational support: line manager, supervision and peer support within your organisation.
- "The help and support of team members and management. The availability of necessary equipment and resources."
- "The structure in our organisation supports students , culture of learning in our organisation and co ordinating of placements. "
- "The undertaking of the post grad diploma in practice teaching, supervision and management was a good support and provided a very good base. My team were also very supportive and open to the idea of working with a student."
University support: Placement learning coordinator, tutor, course director, CPD events, call in days.
- "The role of the college and the placement tutor help enormously to validate any concerns and discuss the next best approach."
- "Ongoing communication with tutor and college."
Peer support from other Practice teachers.
- "Sharing, the positives and negative with other practice teachers. Having the Practice teacher coordinator availability if queries issues arise."
NPTSWI (National Practice Teaching in Social Work Initiative): The NPTSWI supports practice teaching through this open access online repository of learning and teaching resources for practicee teachers.
If difficulties arise: In some cases difficulties may arise on the placement. It is important to address these concerns early and liaise with the tutor and the practice education team/coordinator in the first instance for support.
Click on the relevant box to view the additional supports available at each Higher Education Institution.