Data protection notice
At the CyberSocial Research Lab, we treat your privacy seriously. Any personal data which you provide to the us will be treated with the highest standards of security and confidentiality, in accordance with Irish and European Data Protection legislation. This notice sets out details of the information that we collect, how we process it and who we share it with. It also explains your rights under data protection law in relation to our processing of your data.
Who we are
Throughout this Notice, “we”, “us” and “our” refers to the CyberSocial Research Lab at University College Cork. For more information about us, please refer to our website: http://ucc.ie/cybersocial.
How we collect your personal data
We collect your data from you when you enter your email address. It will be used by us only in accordance with the purposes outlined in this notice.
The purpose and legal basis for collecting your data
Any personal data you provide to us via this application form will be processed fairly and lawfully.
It will be used for the purposes of mailing you updates from the CyberSocial Research project and related news and events.
The Data Protection Acts allows us to process your data because you have provided your explicit consent. You are entitled to withdraw your consent at any time. If you do withdraw your consent, the CyberSocial Research Lab will no longer process your personal data and will take steps to delete all reference to your data securely.
Details of third parties with whom we share personal data
Your data will not be shared with any third parties.
How long we will keep your data
In keeping with the data protection principles we will only store your data for as long as is necessary. For the purposes described here we will store your data for operational purposes in an encrypted system until you request for it to be deleted. The ultimate retention period will be determined.
You have various rights under data protection law, subject to certain exemptions, in connection with our processing of your personal data, including the right:
- to find out if we use your personal data, access your personal data and receive copies of your personal data;
- to have inaccurate/incomplete information corrected and updated;
- in certain circumstances, to have your details deleted from systems that we use to process your personal data or have the use of your personal data restricted in certain ways;
- to object to certain processing of your data by CyberSocial;
- to exercise your right to data portability where applicable (i.e. obtain a copy of your personal data in a commonly used electronic form;
- where we have relied upon consent as a lawful basis for processing, to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time;
- to not be subject to solely automated decision;
- to request that we stop sending you direct marketing communications.
If you wish to avail of these rights, please write to: The Information Compliance Manager, University College Cork at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions or Complaints
If you have any queries in relation to your email subscription please contact Dr James Cuffe at email@example.com.
If you have any queries or complaints in connection with our processing of your personal data, you can contact UCC’s Information Compliance Manager by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commission if you are unhappy with our processing of your personal data. Details of how to lodge a complaint can be found on the Data Protection Commission’s website (www.dataprotection.ie), or by telephoning 1890 252 231.
In submitting this form, you understand and agree that your personal details will be used by CyberSocial Research Lab for the purposes outlined above.