- 11-05-2011 IDAHO (International Day Against Homophobia) Event 2011 to be held in Boole 6 at 7pm on Thursday 19th of May 2011
- 07-02-2011 Download the Queering Ireland Poster (2,127kB) for this year's Queering Ireland Conference to be held in UCC July 25-26 2011
- 03-02-2011 Coming Out Day 2010 videos posted to Coming Out Day section
Welcome to web pages of the UCC LGBT staff network
The network for LGBT staff was set up by the Equality and Welfare Unit of the Department of Human Resources following expressions of interest by staff. An invitation was initially circulated to all staff in early May 2007 by the Equality and Welfare Unit inviting those interested in LGBT issues to a brainstorming meeting on 21st May 2007. The aims of the meeting were to:
- Provide information on local LGBT support services;
- Increase the understanding of the Equality and Welfare Unit about the experience of LGBT staff in UCC and;
- Explore how the University could best respond to those experiences.
An independent facilitator was engaged to assist in achieving the aims of the meeting and three main outcomes were agreed by the participants following the provision of information on local supports and the exploration of experiences of being an LGBT member of staff in UCC. The outcomes were:
- The development of an LGBT staff network with a particular role around providing a consultation mechanism for the Equality Unit on issues in relation to LGBT;
- The implementation, through the Equality Unit – but with the support of the network – of a series of measures (ideas were forthcoming, but it was agreed that more discussion would be required) to implement a visibility campaign around the college and;
- Finally, members of the group agreed to participate in such a network and to encourage colleagues to participate.
These outcomes were approved by the Director of Human Resources on 24th May 2007 and the network held its first meeting on the 3rd July 2007 where the chairs were elected (there is a joint chair arrangement) and the terms of reference agreed. The network and it's website was officially launched and recognised by UCC in early 2008.
Please send an e-mail to LGBTnetwork@ucc.ie if you are a staff member in UCC and are interested in joining this network.