My research utilises child-centred methods and a participatory action research framework to explore the position of children, adolescents and their families within complex political and cultural milieu. Drawing on theoretical perspectives from developmental psychology, cultural and critical psychology, I am interested in exploring processes of participation, agency and collective resiliency. Ongoing research projects include Participatory Action Research on the Social Reintegration of Girl Mothers in Armed Groups and their Children in Northern Uganda and West Africa (With Susan Mckay, Mike Wessells, Miranda Worthen www.uwyo.edu/girlmotherspar); an IRCHSS funded youth action research project on girls in contact with juvenile justice systems, Ireland (with Ursula Kilkelly), and partner to a NORFACE funded project Transnational Child-Raising Arrangements between Africa and Europe (www.norface.org/migration5.html). In 2006, I was a visiting professional to the Victim Participation & Reparation Unit, International Criminal Court and in 2007, was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship to the Program on Forced Migration & Health, Columbia University in 2007.
- Veale, A. (forthcoming, 2010). Psychosocial interventions with Children/Children & Human Rights. In Christie, D. (Ed). Encyclopaedia of Peace Psychology, Malden: Wiley.
- Don', G., & Veale, A. (forthcoming). Divergent narratives, children & forced migration. Journal of Ethnic & Minority studies, 37, 8.
- Veale, A. (2007). Reintegration of former Lord's Resistance Army child abductees: Identity, agency, violence, and resistance. Peace & Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology, 13(3), 273-292.
- Veale, A. (2006). The criminal responsibility of minors: Contributions from psychology. In Arts, K. & Popovski, V. (Eds.). International Criminal Accountability and the Rights of the Child (pp. 97-108), The Hague: Hague Academic Press.
- Veale, A. (2006). Cultural issues in child-centred research with ethnic minority populations: Methodological, ethical & practical challenges. Irish Journal of Psychology, 27(1-2), 25-36.
- Veale, A. (2005). Creative methods in a participatory project in Rwanda. In Greene, S. & Hogan, D. (Eds.). Research Methods with Children (pp. 253-273), London: Sage.