Crawford Observatory

Crawford Observatory

Crawford Observatory

Crawford Observatory, UCC The Crawford Observatory dates from 1880. The University acquired the Observatory through the generosity of several benefactors. One of them, William Crawford, contributed £1,000 towards its construction and the purchase of astronomical instruments. Indeed, Crawford was also to contribute to the buildings of Berkeley Hall, known as the Honan Hostel. He also gave a substantial amount towards the construction of the entrance on Western Road.

The Observatory houses an equatorial telescope, one for which Howard Grubb, who made it, received a Gold Medal at the Paris Exhibition of 1900. The Observatory also contains a Ciderostatic telescope and Spectroscope.

Close X