Supporting transition from Further Education to Higher Education
Supporting students through Further Education and towards transition to Higher Education
ACCESS+ will focus on supporting the transition of school leaving students from linked Cork City DEIS schools into Further Education (FE), their retention in Further Education and progression on to UCC, CIT or other Higher Education (HE)(third level) institutions.
Support is focused on three phases:
- Transition of second level students into FE
- Retention of students in FE
- Progression onwards
Who is it for?
UCC ACCESS+ is an initiative of the UCC PLUS+ office. The UCC ACCESS+ programme is specifically for the following :
- students who have attended one of the Cork city DEIS Schools that are linked to UCC PLUS+ (see list below)
- students who are members of the Traveller Community
- students from Cork Life Centre
It involves working with students during secondary school as they make decisions about their future. If they pursue the Further Education pathway of progression, i.e. in College of Commerce, Colaiste Stiofain Naofa (CSN) or St. John’s College, ACCESS+ will work with these students throughout their time in FE and on towards Higher Education.
What actually is it?
The goal is to help you to progress in your studies.
This will mean different goals for each person and goals and aspirations may change along the way. For example your progression goal may be:
- progress to UCC
- progress to CIT or another HE provider.
- completion of the year of study in the FE college and a Level 5 award
- progression within FE to a Level 6 course for the following year,
- employment, work, an apprenticeship
Whatever your goal may be, the role of UCC ACCESS+ is to help you get there. There will be many challenges on the way, there will be changes of mind, new ideas or realisations or maybe personal circumstances where life gets in the way of your studies. UCC ACCESS+ aims to provide the student with additional supports in those circumstances.
Do I need to apply?
No, if you are from one of the listed schools (below), the Cork Life Centre or a member of the Traveller community then you will be included in the post-entry supports of ACCESS+ when you accept a course place at one of the FE Colleges (CSN, CCoC, St.Johns). You will be contacted with regard to attending the orientation programme.
Participating Schools & Institutions in Cork City
- Bishopstown Community School, Bishopstown, Cork
- Colaiste Eamann Ris (formerly Deerpark CBS), St Patrick's Road, Cork
- Gaelcholáiste Mhuire, A.G North Monastery Road, Cork
- Mayfield Community School, Mayfield, Cork
- Nagle Community College, Mahon, Cork
- North Monastery CBS, North Mon Road, Cork
- North Presentation Secondary School, Farranree, Cork
- Presentation Secondary School, Ballyphehane, Cork
- St. Aidan's Community College, Dublin Hill, Cork
- St. Patrick's College, Gardiner’s Hill, Cork
- St. Vincent's Secondary School, St. Mary's Road, Cork
- Terence MacSwiney Community College, Hollyhill, Cork
- Ursuline Secondary School, Blackrock, Cork
ACCESS+ will provide a range of supports that may include:
- Meetings with 6th Years, Q+A in schools to be fully informed about the FE options, future progression routes and requirements
- attendance at Careers Events, Parent evenings, open days
- Course shadowing support at FE Colleges
- Orientation day to meet fellow UCC ACCESS+ students, visit the FE college, familiarise yourself with rooms, names and timetables, attend social events
- One to one meetings to discuss challenges, progress and goals
- Advocacy between you and your tutors and course director
- Signposting and referral to external support agencies
- Connection to UCC and CIT and opportunity to visit campus and lectures
- Course shadowing opportunity in UCC
- Info and support to apply for CAO and HEAR
- Study skill supports and signposting
- Access to resources
- Welfare and budgeting information
- Social events
Guidance Counsellors and Secondary Schools and all other enquiries can contact James Bilson at email@example.com or tel. 021 422 3842
Long link - http://bit.ly/312yze2Booking