Having second thoughts?
You may be encountering a series of crossroads - how well you navigate these crossroads can have an impact on your student journey. Don’t wait to stumble – explore your options and figure out the potential outcomes of the decisions you make. Don't be afraid to reach out for support and guidance at these pivotal moments.
Considering a change of course?
Change of course process
Any registered student can make an application to change their course. CAO waitlists and Leaving Certificate appeals are honoured until the close of the CAO season.
We make our decisions on applications to change course based on the following criteria:
- The availability of places in the course you want to change to
- The entry qualifications for the course you want to change to
You must have the Leaving Certificate points or equivalent and must meet the matriculation requirements of the course you want to change to in order to make a Change of Course Application. As part of the application process, you will be need to ensure that the desired programme is the right course for you.
Please note: If you are successful in their change of course application, you will have to bring yourself up to date with course work. We won't accept change of course as grounds for poor performance at examinations later in the academic year.
If you are not eligible for change of course, you will be notified immediately. If you have been successful in your application for a change of course we will officially notify you by email. You should check their student email account regularly for correspondence from the Admissions Office.
Successful applicants will be notified by the Admissions Office and your record will be updated by the Student Records & Examinations Office. You will be issued with a new Student ID Card.
Applications for Change of Course will open on Monday, 5 October. Closing date for change of course applicatons is Friday, 16 October 2020.
For further information contact Nóirín Deady, First Year Experience Coordinator.
Tel: 021 4904873, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss all options available.
Deferring your place
We know that not everyone can take up their place in UCC straight away. Everyone's personal circumstances are different and you may wish to defer your entry to UCC for a year.
If you wish to defer your place, do not accept your CAO offer. Apply for a deferral through our Admissions Office.
Thinking of leaving your course?
Withdrawing from UCC
Circumstances occasionally arise that can cause you to consider leaving UCC before completing your degree programme.
In such cases we at University College Cork are committed to:
- giving you career guidance and support should you need/want to withdraw
- helping you find a solution to whatever issues are causing you concern (if it is possible)
- providing a respectful and uncomplicated process for completing your withdrawal
- ensuring that you are aware of all your options and that you will be facilitated in every way to return to third level education if you wish
If you are considering withdrawing from UCC please make an appointment with First Year Coordinator, Nóirín Deady, as soon as you can.
If you are an international student from outside the EU, International Student Support Officer Ms. Suzanne Buckley will provide support. Tel: +353 21 4904725 Email: email@example.com
The sooner you make contact the more options you will have.
Our Fee Refund Policy outlines important information on what refunds are available to you.
- For a full refund, students must withdraw by 31 October 2020.
- Students withdrawing by 31 January 2021 will incur half year tuition fee costs if repeating first year of a new programme.
You must formally notify the University of your intention to withdraw. If you have considered all your options and you still need or want to proceed with your withdrawal, please complete the withdrawal form
Send the form and your student ID card to:
- Nóirín Deady, First Year Experience Coordinator, Room 29, Hub Building, T12YF78, UCC.
You can make a retrospective withdrawal, but you must include supporting evidence from one or more of the following professionals with your application:
- Medical Practitioner
- Other health professionals
- UCC Student Support professionals
- Other (must be specified)